Forbidden Chapter



I wish I was good at memorizing scripture. I'm not! I have 30 favorite passages in God's word that have a special place in my heart. I don't have them memorized, but I read them often in my time of study and they each have an important role in reminding me who I am, what life is about, and the power of the God I serve! 

Here's my list:

Exodus 14:14                 Deuteronomy 30:11-20        1 Chronicles 4:10            1 Chronicles 16:8-36

Ezra 7:9-10                    Psalm 37:2-9                         Psalm 77:1-15                Psalm 101

Psalm 118                     Psalm 139                               Proverbs 3:5-8                Isaiah 43:15-19

Isaiah 53                      Jeremiah 9:23-24                     Matthew 6:9-13              Luke 14:25-33

John 3:16-21               Acts 2:42-47                            Romans 8:31-39              1 Corinthians 15:58

2 Corinthians 5:20      Ephesians 1:16-18                    Ephesians 3:14-19          Philippians 1:3-6

Philippians 4:6-7        Colossians 1:9-14                    1 Thessalonians 3:9-13    1 Thessalonians 5:12-22

2 Thessalonians 3:1-5    1 Peter 5:2-9


In today's reading from Isaiah, I read one of my most "noted" scriptures. I have read and studied Isaiah 53 so many times. In my study Bible I have so many notes and comments! I love its place in Biblical Old Testament prophecy. This scripture is so powerful that it is often referred to as the "Forbidden Chapter." The Jewish community has such a hard time explaining it and they prefer to just ignore it completely. Here is a great video, filmed in Israel. I hope you have time to watch it.



We know this scripture was written at least 700 years before Jesus. AND COPIES of Isaiah, found in the Dead Sea Scrolls, were written at least 200 years before Jesus. Yet, these scriptures point to Jesus, his life, his death, his suffering, his resurrection, and the victory we receive through him. These scriptures are some of the most powerful in the Old Testament. That cannot be denied!

I praise God for the power of scripture. I praise God for the blessings we receive by studying God's word. My personal list of heart-changing scriptures continues to grow and I encourage you to build your own list. Read them often, reflect on the power found in the words of God, and live them every day. Believe that Jesus' life was foretold and it happened just as it was predicted. He is our Messiah, the Savior of the world!

Thank you, Lord, for YOUR WORD! "I will make it a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path!" (Psalm 119:105)

Comments