He is ready!

 


The Lord says, "I was ready to respond, but no one asked for help. I was ready to be found, but no one was looking for me. I said, 'Here I am, here I am!' to a nation that did not call on my name. All day long I opened my arms to a rebellious people. But they follow their own evil paths and their own crooked schemes. All day long they insult me to my face by worshipping idols in their sacred gardens. They burn incense on pagan altars. At night they go out among the graces, worshipping the dead."


I am fascinated by Isaiah 65. When I first read it, I was thinking about prayer. I thought that the Lord was saying that he was ready to answer our prayers and I truly believe he is ready and willing to answer our prayers. As I read this over and over, I realized it is talking about more than our typical prayer. How many times do we treat God like a "cosmic Santa Claus?" We come to him asking for stuff. We have a huge wish list for our lives, both short-term and long. We want a particular job. We want God to fix a relationship or solve a specific problem. These requests are all good and God loves to answer those requests. 

But these verses in Isaiah are more about seeking the Lord. Prayer is not just asking for things. Prayer is about seeking the Lord. Prayer is about running into the arms of Jesus, desiring his love, and seeking his will for our lives. So much of my life I have missed the reality that prayer is a time when I can just sit in the warm embrace of the Father and soak up his goodness. Yes, we can take anything to the Lord in prayer. (That is a great hymn!) Yet, we miss the power of prayer if we aren't SEEKING the Lord every time we approach him. 

Research shows that 66% of Americans pray at least once a week. So, America, next time you pray make your only focus, Jesus. Yes, take your joys and sorrows to him, but don't forget to seek his face. He will be found and he will respond with a peace that can only be explained through his perfect love, mercy, and grace. HE IS READY to embrace you, love you, and fill you with his presence. 

Comments