Prayer Walks!




I love praying. I love praying with people and for people. That is one of the reasons I love doing "bike blessings." For those who don't know what that is. Usually, during the spring of the year, various motorcyclists seek out an opportunity to have their bikes blessed for the upcoming ride season. 

A Bike Blessing is a prayer over a biker and his bike that they would have a safe ride throughout the year. 

It is such a peculiar event. The reason it is peculiar. Many of the bikers that have their bikes blessed have absolutely no relationship with God. Now don't misunderstand me, not all of them are non-believers. However, I would venture to say that most of them BELIEVE in GOD, but they have no relationship with God. Most don't read the Bible. Most don't pray. Most don't attend any fellowship of believers and most have not committed their lives to the Lord. So WHY would they want to have their bikes prayed over?

The BIKE BLESSING is often viewed the same as a good luck charm, like a rabbit's foot, or a guardian bell they hang on their motorcycle. Many people, not just bikers, view God as a good luck charm. They view the Almighty as something they pull out when they are facing a crisis or when it is convenient. The cross they wear around their neck has little meaning. 

So, WHY WOULD A FOLLOWER OF JESUS CHRIST want to participate in this ritual?

Think about it for a moment. 

How many times do you get an opportunity to pray with a non-believer? Even more powerful, how many times do non-believers SEEK YOU to ask you to pray for them? Yes, occasionally that might happen if they are suffering a tragedy of facing difficult times, but beyond that, most people don't give daily prayer a fleeting thought. 

Jeremiah knows what I am talking about:

"To an image carved from a piece of wood, they say, 'You are my father.' To an idol chiseled from a block of stone, they say, 'You are my mother.' They turn their backs on me, but in times of trouble they cry out to me, 'Come and save us!' But why not call on these gods you have made? When trouble comes, let them save you if they can! For you have as many gods as there are towns in Judah. Why do you accuse me of doing wrong? You are the ones who have rebelled," says the Lord. (Jeremiah 2:27-29)

Lately, I have turned my daily walks through the streets of Bluffton into prayer walks. Many Christians perform prayer walks in their communities. Yet, God has called me to treat prayer walks more like Bike Blessings. As I walk through this midwest town, I look for people to pray with. When I see someone and seek permission to interrupt their walk, I ask, 

"Is there anything I can pray about for you?" 

I have prayed with over 100 people in a short period of time. I have only been turned down once. Even if someone says, "No, things are going really well. I can't think of anything I need you to pray about." I respond by saying, "It sounds like we should pray to God thanking him for the many blessings in your life!" Again, I have never been turned down. 

I have prayed for healing, broken relationships, and yes, I prayed that a little four-year-old girl would get a pony!" (Her mom said it was ok!) I have prayed for a family split by divorce to get brought back together. I have prayed for jobs, finances, and for a young man to stay out of jail. One of the most touching moments was when a family called their aunt, who was in the hospital, so I could pray over the phone for her healing. 

I love praying and believe in the power of prayer because I serve a God who loves to show up in powerful ways when his people pray. When you get the opportunity, when God prompts you to reach out, even if it is reaching out to a stranger, seize the moment, Pray!


 

Comments