Something New!

 


This picture was taken May 23rd, 2019. My "grandson," Paxton Hefty, was ready to graduate from High School and I was in the final week of my teaching career. 

Side note: Ok, for those that always ask, Paxton is not my "biological" grandson. It is a long story, but he identified me as his gramps at senior night in the fall of 2018 and I have been his gramps ever since. 

I had no idea what lie ahead for Stephanie and me as we chose to retire early from teaching in 2019. Two years before this photo was the lowest time in my teaching career. I was devastated as I left school that year for summer break. As summer progressed, it became clear that God wanted Stephanie and me to start something new. He wanted us to put our complete trust in him and venture into a life serving him. When I look back at those dark days of May and June 2017, I can NOW reflect on the awesome hand of God as he started something new, something better than I could ever imagine. I can look back fondly at those days of turmoil and not hold grudges against those that hurt me. Those events were the start of something amazing.

Fast Forward to today!

This coming Sunday I will have the privilege of baptizing this young man, his cousin Shiloh, and his girlfriend Lily. Really, it is all because of Paxton. He stepped out and succumbed to his desire to know more about God and decided to bring others along for the journey. I love the verses I read today:

I am the Lord, your Holy One, Israel's creator and King. I am the Lord, who opened a way through the waters, making a dry path through the sea. I called forth the mighty army of Egypt with all its chariots and horses. I drew them beneath the waves, and they drowned, their lives snuffed out like a smoldering candlewick. 

But forget all that -- it is nothing compared to what I am going to do.

For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun. Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland." (Isaiah 43:15-19)

I didn't see it at the time. God certainly started something new in the summer of 2017. I praise him for this wonderful adventure I am on. I praise him for people like Shiloh, Lily, Lilah, Jordan, Christian, Joe, Dalton, Noah, Matt, Taylor, Micah, Kelcie, Alainah, Olivia, Hallie, Kierra, Tony, Colton, and Gage that have all been affected by one young man stepping out in faith. 

Thank you, Paxton. I love you like a "real" grandson and am looking forward to Sunday!!!!!!!!

Comments