Stubborn? Me?


 

I wonder how many people admit they are hard-headed? 

It pains me to confess, I am terribly stubborn, even when it comes to following Jesus! That is a tough pill for me to swallow. I hope I am not the only one. I may not admit it publicly, but I live my life like I am the one with the perfect plan and God is just along for the ride. He is there just in case I need him for emergencies.

In the Bible, a person that is stubborn and unyielding is a sinner. In Deuteronomy 21:21 a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey his father or mother, even though he is disciplined, will be stoned to death. Yikes! 

In today's society, stubbornness can be looked at as being a virtuous character trait. A recent article claimed stubbornness can be turned positive when we team this trait with wisdom. I am not sure I agree. I don't know anyone here on earth that knows the future, has the perfect plan, and has earned the right to be stubborn. 

The definition of stubbornness is:

"having a dogged determination not to change one's attitudes or position on something, especially (here is the key) in spite of good arguments or reasons to do so."(1) 

God constantly refers to Israel as a "stubborn, stiff-necked people." I don't think this was a term of endearment. In Exodus 32:9 the Lord said:

"I have seen how stubborn and rebellious these people are. Now leave me alone so my fierce anger can blaze against them, and I will destroy them. Then I will make you, Moses, into a great nation."

Maybe being stubborn and rebellious against a world of sin, or resisting evil, is a good thing. Making a firm stand and resisting the call to abandon God is a good thing. But, as we see time and time again in the scriptures, most of our stubborn desires are directed against the God of the Universe.

Isaiah tells us that God knows how we are:

For I know how stubborn and obstinate you are. Your necks are as unbending as iron. Your heads are as hard as bronze." (Isa. 48:4)

I don't think he was just talking about the nation of Israel. I think he was also pointing the finger at me! 

There is never a more pertinent reason to abandon our stubbornness than trusting in the Lord. He is the reason to abandon our stiff-necked ways. He alone is the place we should seek good advice, guidance, and direction. He alone is the reason to abandon our "perfect plans" because he is God!

How stubborn are you? 

Listen to the heart of God from Isaiah:

"This is what the Lord says -- your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: 'I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is good for you and leads you along the paths you should follow. Oh, that you had listened to my commands! Then you would have had peace flowing like a gentle river and righteousness rolling over you like the waves in the sea. Your descendants would have been like the sands along the seashore -- too many to count! There would have been no need for your destruction, or of cutting off your family name.'" (Isa. 48:17-19)

Lord, forgive me for my stubbornness and for trying to go through life on my own, weak, wisdom, and knowledge. You created all things, know all things, and see the future before it appears. Forgive me for not listening to your commands, missing the peace, and rejecting the glorious future you offer us each day. Guide and direct my heart that I might listen and obey. Amen!


1 - https://www.google.com/search?q=define+stubborn&oq=define+stubborn&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i67i650j0i20i263i512j0i512l4j0i390i650l3.3854j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8


Comments