Why is this important?

 

Why do I read the Bible? What is so important about the ancient writings of a man who lived 2700 years ago?


When Isaiah writes his words about the failures of Egypt, Assyria, and Jerusalem, he is talking directly to me. I see myself in the words of scripture. I see my weaknesses, my failures, and my poor choices. God sends me these words to transform my heart so that I might be saved. 

We look at the past to live today and secure our future in paradise.

Isaiah 28:7 - "Now, however, Israel is led by drunks who reel with wine and stagger with alcohol. The priests and prophets stagger with alcohol and lose themselves in wine. They reel when they see visions and stagger as they render decisions."

When I read this my first thought was not that our leaders are drunk on wine, but that they are drunk on power, and position. They have forgotten their people. This can also be true for some of our spiritual leaders. We get consumed with the minutia of "religion" that we forget our purpose and mission.

Isaiah 29:13-14 - "And so the Lord says, 'These people say they are mine. They honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. And their worship of me is nothing but man-made rules learned by rote. Because of this, I will once again astound these hypocrites with amazing wonders. The wisdom of these wise will pass away, and the intelligence of the intelligent will disappear.'"

I love my Christian brothers and sisters. Yet, sometimes I hear them praising God with their lips, but where are the fruits of their faith? I have attended bible study after bible study. I am often amazed at the knowledge of God's word and the intelligent discussion. Yet, are we transformed? We know the words; we know their meaning, but do we learn only for ourselves or are we motivated and inspired to share all the Lord has done with others? God is working right now. These stories were true thousands of years ago and God still performs amazing wonders right now. Our twenty-first-century wisdom and intelligence keep us from seeing the wonders of God. We are consumed with our knowledge more than we are inspired to seek God's will in our daily lives!

Isaiah 30:1-5 - "'What sorrow awaits my rebellious children,' says the Lord. 'You make plans that are contrary to mine. You make alliances not directed by my Spirit, thus piling up your sins. For without consulting me, you have gone down to Egypt for help. You have put your trust in Pharaoh's protection. You have tried to hide in his shade. But by trusting Pharaoh, you will be humiliated, and by depending on him, you will be disgraced. For though his power extends to Zoan and his officials have arrived in Hanes, all who trust in him will be shamed. He will not help you. Instead, he will disgrace you.'"

Judah was seeking protection from Egypt. The enemy was on their doorstep and they feared they would be overrun.  They had the mighty power of God standing with them and instead of appealing to that power, they sought the power of man. They were going to pay Egypt for protection. That protection never happened. Their promises to Israel were worthless. (Isaiah 30:7)

Who are you turning to? What crisis do you face? Have you consulted the Lord? Have you appealed to the creator of the universe, the ultimate healer, the prince of peace? When was the last time you appealed to the Lord? Are your plans contrary to God's? We have the same access to the Lord as the people of Israel. We must not depend on alliances with man to save us. If we depend on anything outside the power of the Most High we will be shamed, disgraced, humiliated, and certainly defeated. 

Thank you Lord for helping me learn from the failure of others. Thank you Lord for providing me with your wonderful words that I might draw closer to you. I praise you for your patience with me and pray your spirit will continue to guide me along your path, doing your will, and helping others experience your love, mercy, and grace! Amen!


Comments