The Importance of Leadership

 

I am leading three groups of people discovering the God of the Bible. I love it and cannot express the joy I have with the weekly interaction. Yet, it is an amazing responsibility. 

This struck me in a special way as I was reading Ezekiel 8 & 9. Ezekiel is receiving a vision that contains all of the detestable acts being performed by Israel. Besides the idols stationed throughout the Temple, one of the most egregious sins included 70 leaders, one of which was a very prominent man, Jaazaniah son of Shaphan. They were worshipping engravings on the wall, probably idols from Egypt. It is no wonder that Israel had fallen so far. Their prominent religious leaders rejected the God of Israel and were serving other gods.

"'Go in,' he said, 'do you see what they are doing? Do you see the detestable sins the people of Israel are committing to drive me from my Temple? But come, and you will see even more detestable sins than these!' So I went in and saw the walls covered with engravings of all kinds of crawling animals and detestable creatures. I also saw the various idols worshiped by the people of Israel. Seventy leaders of Israel were standing there with Jaazaniah son of Shaphan in the center. Each of them held an incense burner, from which a cloud of incense rose above their heads."(Ezekiel 8:9-11)

What I do as a leader, as a pastor, called to carry the GOOD NEWS to the nations, matters greatly! Every time I lead a discovery group, every word I say, and every action I take outside my role as a church leader can have serious repercussions. I literally and figuratively can lead my people into exile. 

I take very seriously my role leading others in their search for God and because of the value I place on serving the Lord, I do several things to make sure I don't end up like these 70 leaders. First, I spend extended hours each day in private Bible study beyond preparation for teaching. As you can tell, right now, I am studying the prophets. I pray over the word, I read multiple translations, consult commentaries, and seek input from the Holy Spirit during this 1-2 hour encounter with God. 

Second, I also spend an equal time in preparing for my three discipleship groups. Each of these groups meet at various times, are composed of a very diverse group of people at various stages of spiritual development. I never "wing it." I do not just trust my own heart and head, I also gather input from other leaders I trust. Growing in faith, even my own faith, is not something to be done in isolation. We can learn from others and should seek to let the Lord speak through his people. 

Third, I spend extended time in prayer about what I am teaching. I value God's word so much and would never intentionally lead someone away from God. I depend upon the Holy Spirit to guide my words and my conversations. I pray he directs my time of study and the concepts I teach. I do not fear saying the wrong thing because I know God is with me. I sense his presence and it is a comfort beyond anything I could imagine. 

I praise God for the opportunities I get to share his words. I praise God he has entrusted me with my "tiny" flock of believers. I praise God and am humbled by this calling. Thank you, Lord, continue to use me and expand my territory as YOU believe I am able. 

These seventy men were killed by the Lord because they were responsible for leading Israel away from God and into the hands of worthless idols. (Ezekiel 9:5-6) We are in danger of the same destruction if we do not take seriously our call to share his word with the lost and forgotten souls of this world. 


Comments