Retirement: I've been misled!

 


I've been tricked by the Lord! But, I love it!

For years I have harrassed retired friends and family about them NOT understanding the definition of retirement. Here is the Merriam Webster's definition of retirement:

"withdrawal from one's position or occupation or from active working life"

That is a lie!

In the summer of 2017, God spoke clearly that it was time to retire. Through some events at the end of that school year and through prayer throughout that summer, God spoke that he wanted Stephanie and I to retire. So, for the next two years, we prepared for retirement. We sold or gave away everything we had to hit the road on a 365-day vacation, traveling, enjoying winters in Florida,"kicking back" and enjoying rest! For three years we loved it. During that time, since we were out of the hustle and bustle of the daily grind, we had much more time to spend in God's word, prayer, and service. We served with our CMA friends, went on short-term mission trips, and even had time to earn a Master's degree in Biblical Studies. 

Why do I say I was tricked by the Lord? As I spent more time with God, the more he spoke that he was not done with me yet and that God's definition of retirement was NOT "withdrawal from active working life." God's definition of retirement is removing the distractions of my chosen vocation so that I can SERVE HIM, and WORK FOR HIM!

As I was reading Jeremiah 20:7 - Jeremiah voiced the same complaint to God:

"O Lord, you misled me, and I allowed myself to be misled. You are stronger than I am, and you overpowered me. Now I am mocked every day; everyone laughs at me. When I speak, the words burst out. "Violence and destruction!' I shout. So these messages from the Lord have made me a household joke. But if I say I'll never mention the Lord or speak his name, his word burns in my heart like fire. It's like a fire in my bones! I am worn out trying to hold it in! I can't do it!"

Although my situation is not as dire as Jeremiah's, I am not mocked. As far as I know, I am not a household joke. (No comments please!) Yet, I do feel "duped" by the Lord. He tricked me into a false vision of retirement. He enticed me with sunny days sitting on the beach, relaxing, taking multiple naps each day, just so I would spend more time with him. AND NOW, I am like Jeremiah. I can't keep quiet even if I wanted to. Sharing his word, discipling others, and serving him is like a fire in my bones. I am worn out trying to hold it in! I can't do it!"

I think I am working harder now than I ever have in my entire life. So, I apologize to all the retired people I have harassed in the past. I now understand the true definition of retirement. Retirement is not about ceasing work. Retirement is about changing your vocation, or changing WHO you are working for. My NEW career is working for the Lord! The Lord tricked me into pursuing a career that is the most challenging and the most rewarding career in the world -- Serving God! PRAISE GOD!





Comments