Telling it like it is!


God cannot let evil go unpunished! And punishment is not popular!

I had a discussion a few days ago about the death and destruction found in the Old Testament. Reading about God's judgment is not easy to swallow. The world doesn't want to hear it. The world wants a God of Love and peace. I certainly worship a God who exemplifies the greatest of what LOVE is and He created this world to be filled with peace. But, I also worship a god of TRUTH and JUSTICE. 

Jeremiah 9:23-24 is one of my list of LIFE VERSES:

"This is what the Lord says: 'Don't let the wise boast in their wisdom, or the powerful boast in their power, or the rich boast in their riches. But those who wish to boast should boast in this alone: that they truly know me and understand that I am the Lord who demonstrates unfailing love and who brings justice and righteousness to the earth and that I delight in these things. I, the Lord, have spoken!"(Jeremiah 9:23-24)

After concluding my study of Jeremiah, I have grown to appreciate this prophet of the Lord. He was never afraid to tell it like it was. He spoke the truth and no one wanted to hear it. He pulled no punches with the nation of Judah. They were living life separate from God and rejoiced in their independence from the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Jeremiah warned them with great passion and zeal, but his call to repentance was ignored.

As followers of Jesus Christ, we need to learn from Jeremiah and follow his lead. We must not be afraid to face the sins of this world. We must not be afraid to call people to repentance and to point out the evil we see, even when it is unpopular. God will punish evil and he cannot tolerate sin. If we do not repent and call upon the mercy and grace of Jesus, we will certainly face eternal punishment. We can tell it like it is with a love and compassion that does not apologize for the truth. 

"'Do not be afraid, Jacob, my servant, for I am with you,' says the Lord, 'I will completely destroy the nations to which I have exiled you, but I will not completely destroy you. I will discipline you, but with justice; I cannot let you go unpunished.'"(Jeremiah 46:28)

 

Comments