Who do you look up to?

 


As a kid, I always looked up to pastors. My family spent a lot of time at church. My mom played the organ/piano, my grandfather was a Church of God pastor, and later in life, my Dad became a pastor. We always went to Sunday School, youth group, and vacation bible school. We lived at church!

So, I remember some of the pastors from my earliest childhood. I remember Rev. Hunt, Flockhart, Sievers, Penrod, Blosser, McPherson, and others.  For me, they were the standard. That is probably why I cringe and then mourn when I hear of pastors falling into deep sin. It hurts me deeply and it hurts our standing as a church. Ravi Zacharias comes to mind. I loved listening to him and I loved his logic. I was devastated to hear of his deep failings. As I read in Hosea today, the failings of Pastors, and priests, are not new.

"Don't point your finger at someone else and try to pass the blame! My complaint, you priests, is with you. So you will stumble in broad daylight, and your false prophets will fall with you in the night." (Hosea 4:4-5)

I understand that our pastors are sinful fallen people. "We have all sinned." Yet, a pastor, someone who professes God, shares the gospel, is bold about sharing, and is placed in this position of leading God's people, should live as a better example. 

Wait a minute!

Don't we believe in the "priesthood of believers?" 1 Peter 2 discusses the prominent position of ALL BELIEVERS as chosen and a royal priesthood. Peter claims this royal priesthood comes with certain responsibilities:

".. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light." (1 Peter 2:9)

It is not just the priests or pastors that are letting down the faith. YOU as believers in Jesus Christ are responsible for living a life that is an example, that is HOLY and SET APART from this world. We all shoulder the great responsibility to live a life caring for our own flock. We, as royal priests, have a flock of people that look up to US and watch every move we make. YES, others are watching you at home, at school, at work, what you do for fun, how you relax, what you say, how you spend your time and money. YOU ARE ON DISPLAY FOR THE WHOLE WORLD TO SEE.

Live a life worthy of Jesus Christ. You are not going to be perfect, only Jesus was. How we deal with our own sins and failures are just as important as the good things we do. REPENT and turn to him, SEEK HIS FACE.

"Oh, that we might know the Lord! Let us press on to know him. He will respond to us as surely as the arrival of dawn or the coming of rains in the early spring.'Oh Israel and Judah, what should I do with you?' asks the Lord. For your love vanishes like the morning mist and disappears like the dew in the sunlight." (Hosea 6:3-4)

Here is what he desires:

"I want you to show love, not offer sacrifices. I want you to know me more than I want burnt offerings." (Hosea 6:6)

LIVE LIKE A ROYAL PRIESTHOOD! PEOPLE ARE LOOKING UP TO YOU!

Comments