Your Responsibility!


 

Being a pastor is such a huge responsibility. We are called to care for the flock willingly, not grudgingly, and serve them out of pure motives. We are also called to set an example in humility. (1 Peter 5:2-3) Yet, pastors often struggle and fail. 

IN Ezekiel 34, the prophet describes one of the failures. Israel had drifted away from God and the leaders were ultimately responsible for the disobedience and rejection. The leaders had gotten "fat."

"They took care of themselves neglecting their sheep. You abandoned my flock and let them be attacked by every wild animal. And though you were my shepherds, you didn't search for my sheep when they were lost. You took care of yourselves and left the sheep to starve." (Ezekiel 34:7-9)

In verse 10:

"This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I now consider these shepherds my enemies, and I will hold them responsible for what has happened to my flock." (Ezekiel 34:10)

I don't have a huge flock of thousands. I am not sure I am ready for that. (I'm not sure I ever will be.) Yet, I take very seriously the small flock God has entrusted me with. My Bible study groups, my family, my friends, and my community, are all parts of my flock.  

YOU ALSO HAVE A FLOCK TO TEND!

Yes, you are a shepherd! God has entrusted you with the same responsibility as a pastor. You are to feed your sheep. You are to guide them through wild animals and the trials they will face. You have an obligation to lay down your life, if need be. 

Later in Ezekiel 34, Ezekiel's message was about separating the fat sheep from the scrawny sheep. There are so many of us who have been blessed throughout our lives and we hoard everything we have, sharing nothing with the rest of the flock. We have been blessed to bless others. Instead, we trample the rest of the flock when we are fat and when we have had our fill. God did not design it this way. He did not design US that way.

Tend the Flock you have been given. Feed your flock spiritually, mentally, and physically. Live as a servant of the Lord tending those scrawny sheep who are your neighbors, family, and friends. Don't hoard all that God has given you. Love others, sacrifice for others, and BE A GOOD SHEPHERD!



Comments