Arguing with God!


I love God with all my heart, soul, and strength. BUT, I have to admit, I have been arguing with God a lot lately! No, my disagreement is not major. I am not claiming I deserve more than I am getting. I'm not arguing about recent health issues with my wife. I am not arguing with him about world affairs or the state of our national morality or money, etc. God is okay with us voicing our concerns, our frustrations, and YES, our anger!

My argument with God involves my future. Please don't get me wrong. I am open to whatever God calls me to do and wherever he wants to send me. Yet, like all people, I don't like change. I love consistency and have a great idea of what I should be doing for the Lord. I was called to this ministry by a powerful vision and I love what I am doing!

Listen to these verses from Amos:

"Then Amaziah sent orders to Amos, 'Get out of here, you prophet! Go on back to the land of Judah, and earn your living prophesying there! Don't bother us with your prophecies here in Bethel. This is the king's sanctuary and the national place of worship!'

But Amos replied, 'I'm not a professional prophet, and I was never trained to be one. I'm just a shepherd, and I take care of the sycamore-fig trees. But the Lord called me away from my flock and told me, 'Go and prophesy to my people Israel.' Now then, listen to this message from the Lord.'"

Amos was a shepherd and perfectly satisfied serving that way. Now he was called to something that brought turmoil and was the voice bringing unwelcome news. I am sure he felt he was good at tending his flock and taking care of sycamore-fig trees. I am sure he thought THAT was his ministry. God had different plans. In these verses, he is subtly arguing with God.  He claims this PROPHET stuff was not for him. He was better as a lowly shepherd and tree keeper. God saw it a different way. 

I was a good high school math teacher. I loved teaching high school students, building relationships with them, and helping them get through the difficulty of a subject most of them hated. God had different plans and here I am serving in a ministry to share the gospel in "not-so-conventional ways."

Now I am getting a sense that God is redirecting me again. REALLY GOD? So, we have been ARGUING! I was perfectly happy being a math teacher. NOW, I am perfectly happy leading Discovery Bible Groups. Yet, over the past 5 months God has been opening doors in different ministries that I have often claimed are NOT for me. I have always been a little bit of a rebel. Doing Biker ministry, changing careers later in life, retiring early, and starting an unconventional ministry, those have been my focus. I am sensing a shift and I am like Amos, I am a little resistant. 

YET, I PRAY EVERY DAY! LORD USE ME AS YOU WILL, GUIDE ME ON YOUR PATH; I AM YOUR SERVANT AND WILLING TO SERVE HOWEVER YOU CALL ME! (I know it is useless to argue with God!)

Comments