Dirty Clothes

 


For most of my life someone else has done my laundry and through the majority of my life that has been my wonderful wife. And, yes, many times I gave her the daunting task of cleaning clothes that looked like the ones pictured above. When she was done working her magic, the dirty clothes were perfect and ready for another day of work! My clothes don't get nearly as dirty these days. Maybe that is why I have taken over laundry duties! My laundry for just Stephanie and I does not involve such challenges as the one shown above!

As I was reading from Zechariah 3 today, I was reminded of dirty clothes:

"Jeshua's clothing was filthy as he stood there before the angel. So the angel said to the others standing there, 'Take off his filthy clothes,' And turning to Jeshua he said, 'See, I have taken away your sins, and now I am giving you these fine new clothes. Then I said, 'They should also place a clean turban on his head.' So they put a clean preiestly turban on his head and dressed him in new clothes while the angel of the Lord stood by." (Zechariah 3:3-5)

Jeshua was a priest and during the exile there were no active priests. As we read about the failings of Israel, the priesthood was no different. They were not obeying God any more than the rest of Israel. This moment in Zechariah is a renewal of the priesthood. The filthy sin-filled life Jeshua and the other priests lived, were being forgiven and their new life was beginning. 

This moment was a foreshadow of what Jesus would do on the cross. As a matter of fact, just a few verses later we read this:

"Listen to me, O Jeshua the high priest, and all you other priests. You are symbols of things to come. Soon I am going to bring my servant, the Branch. Now look at the jewel I have set before Jeshua, a single stone with seven facets. I will engrave an inscription on it, says the Lord of Heaven's Armies, and I will remove the sins of this land in a single day." (Zechariah 3:8-9)

Yes, they were definitely symbols of the things to come. Jesus, the BRANCH, did come and through his selfless act on the cross, wiped out our sins in one day! Our sinful, dirty clothes, were removed and clean priestly clothes were placed upon us. What a great and glorious day. 

There is nothing better than the feel of clean clothes. The smells, the feel, the look, all lift our spirits and motivate us to move forward. When Jesus washes our sins away, we also get a completely new, fresh, life that leads us to greater things. I praise HIM for his grace and mercy in my life!

Let Jesus remove your dirty clothes and replace them with clean clothes and the joy of living a life for the. King of Kings!


Comments