Lured by the BLING of Life!

 


I love fishing, even though I haven't gone fishing for years AND I'm not skilled at it!

When I read from the book of Amos today, I got a chuckle out of the reference to fishing with a hook. In the Bible, I am not sure there are too many references to this type of fishing. Most of the fishing in the New Testament was done with a net, commercially. 

"The Sovereign Lord has sworn this by his holiness: 'The time will come when you will be led away with hooks in your noses! Every last one of you will be dragged away like a fish on a hook!'" (Amos 4:2)

Israel had been lured away by false teachings, idols, and promises of riches. It looked so inviting and true. They still gave lip service to the God of Israel, but their hearts were focused on the STUFF of this world.

Hmmmmmmm! That sounds a. lot like some people I know. Our society is attracted by the bling of life. We love shiny new cars, big fancy houses, fine clothing, food, high-paying jobs, and powerful careers. The more I read about Israel before they were sent into exile, the more I realize we are just like them. No wonder we have pages and pages of wisdom from the prophets who tried to sound the alarm!

So, I'm certainly NOT a prophet, but God has called me to sound the alarm. Stay away from the shiny bait that the world is dangling in front of you. Don't be snagged by the lure of the things of this life. Focus on Jesus and you won't be led away fighting to get yourself free from the hook!

Resist the devil and he will flee:

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Come near to God, and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts you double-minded!" (James 4:7-8)



Comments