Respect for the Farmer

 

There is not a more important profession than the American Farmer. The harvest of corn, wheat, and soybeans in the United States is more than 25% of the total world production and in the past, it has been as much as 50%. Our farmers are hardworking, highly skilled, and one of our country's most valuable commodities. But, as I have witnessed throughout my lifetime, this is not just a one-man-show. Farming is a FAMILY BUSINESS. This is especially true with springtime planting and the fall harvest, but it is true 365 days a year. With Thanksgiving around the corner, we should all say a special prayer of Thanksgiving for the plentiful harvest and the men/women who complete that harvest!

So, what does that have to do with the scripture today? I read Hagai this morning and I was captivated by this little book. I have to admit, it has been a while since I read these words and today, they convicted/inspired me within my own ministry context. 

"You have planted much but harvest little. You eat but are not satisfied. You drink but are still thirsty. You put on clothes but cannot keep warm. Your wages disappear as though you were putting them in pockets filled with holes...

Now go up into the hills, bring down timber, and rebuild my house. Then the Lord will take pleasure in it and be honored, says the Lord. You hoped for rich harvests, but they were poor. And when you brought your harvest home, I blew it away. Why? Because my house lies in ruins, says the Lord of Heaven's Armies, while all of you were building your own fine houses." (Haggai 1:6,8-9)

The Lord spoke to me through these words. Encouraging and convicting me to continue our work disciple-making. I loved my years working diligently with the Christian Motorcyclists Association. We planted so many seeds with our service to the secular motorcycling community. The ministry of CMA is wonderful, but God has called me to switch my focus to watering and harvesting, so to speak!

The Bible speaks of planting seeds, watering, and harvesting in the Kingdom of God. Each of these tasks of the "kingdom farmer" is so important. But, God has called me to work on the back end of the process and slowly rebuild his "temple" using unconventional means. That does not diminish what the traditional church is doing, but God has a specific task for Stephanie and I. 

"After all, who is Apollos? Who is Paul? We are only God's servants through whom you believed the Good News. Each of us did the work the Lord gave us. I planted the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God who made it grow. It's not important who does the planting, or who does the watering. What's important is that God makes the seed grow. The one who plants and the one who waters work together with the same purpose. And both are rewarded for their own hard work. For we are both God's workers, And you are God's field." (1 Corinthians 3:5-9)

What is your calling? What SPECIFIC task has God assigned you in his kingdom work. Are you being obedient?  The Church needs all kingdom farmers working because the fields are ripe for harvest and the workers are few! WE NEED YOU TO BE ACTIVE KINGDOM FARMERS!

Comments