When Disaster Strikes!

 


I remember September 11th, 2001 like it happened yesterday. I could only watch in horror while disaster struck New York City. Yet, my emotions and my horror cannot be anywhere close to what the people at ground zero faced. I just can't imagine. Now the people of Gaza, Israel, and Ukraine, all are facing an extreme crisis. There are so many innocent people caught up in the hate, violence, and war!

Have you ever faced a disaster or an extreme personal crisis? As I look back on my life, I'm almost embarrassed to list my disasters and times of personal crisis. Compared to many people I have not had to face those challenges. Natural disasters from floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, fire, or loss of life from cancer, or sudden accidents, have not been a part of my life. I have to give credit to God. Why he has protected me and my family compared to countless other strong Christians, I might never know. To say "I'm blessed" almost seems arrogant. I have done nothing to deserve that protection and I have seen so many faithful followers, more faithful than I am, face multiple challenges and crises throughout their lives. 

So, when I read Habakkuk today, I can only imagine. Many times we gloss over the exile Israel faced in the Old Testament. We almost act joyous because they got what they deserved! As we read from the prophets, it was a time of extreme violence and evil:

"How long, O Lord, must I call for help? But you do not listen! 'Violence is everywhere!' I cry, but you do not come to save. Must I forever see these evil deeds? Why must I watch all this misery? Wherever I look, I see destruction and violence, I am surrounded by people who love to argue and fight. The law has become paralyzed, and there is no justice in the courts. The wicked far outnumber the righteous, so that justice has become perverted." (Habakkuk 1:2-4)

Doesn't Habakkuk's complaint to God fit today? We could all repeat these words after watching the news this morning. So many people are facing pure evil each day. They face natural disasters, man-made disasters, war, violence, and loss of life. 

Me? I am safe and protected. 

At the end of this short book, there is a prayer from this prophet. I only hope I could have this attitude WHEN DISASTER STRIKES:

"Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the God of my salvation! The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He makes me surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights."(Habakkuk 3:17-19)

I praise God for his amazing grace and the blessings I have, all of which, I certainly do not deserve. Thank you, Lord, it is all you!



Comments