Extraordinary Gifts!


Do you ever get stuck thinking about the same things over and over again while you are studying scripture?

A couple of years ago, it seemed that everywhere I turned God was giving me a message about relationships. The next year it was about obedience. Right now I am stuck on this theme of gifts. Last week I wrote about the "perfect" gift. Today, as I am reading 1 Peter 4, I read about gifts again:

"God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen." (1 Peter 4:10,11)

When Peter is talking about gifts he is specifically talking about gifts to use in the service of the Lord. The Greek word used is "charisma." The definition that caught my attention came from the blue letter bible - "grace or gifts denoting extraordinary powers, distinguishing certain Christians and enabling them to serve the church of Christ, the reception of which is due to the power of divine grace operating on their souls by the Holy Spirit."[1]

I have the gift of doing math, organized thinking, and planning, and I love to use those gifts. YES, I can use those gifts for the Lord and I try to do that as much as possible. But, I think the gifts Peter is talking about here in this chapter are gifts that have been SPECIFICALLY GIVEN TO SERVE THE LORD! 

So what EXTRAORDINARY POWERS have you been given to help further the Kingdom of God?

WOW! That is a hard question to answer and it is a hard subject to write about because it makes me sound arrogant or braggadocious. The HOLY SPIRIT has placed gifts in you that are meant to be used FOR GOD'S GLORY. I think those gifts are different than talents. Some people are gifted as basketball players, or are gifted in teaching, or sales, or are gifted as a businessman. God certainly designed us for those tasks. Paul was gifted as a tentmaker. Peter was a gifted fisherman. Those talents were certainly from God as are all things, but they were NOT specifically to be used for the Kingdom of God. 

 This scripture in 1 Peter really made me think. I know one thing God has designed me for within his kingdom is speaking/sharing his word. I love the opportunity to talk and share God's word. Sometimes that is through writing (like this blog). Sometimes it is through preaching. (I love to preach) Sometimes it it through our discovery bible groups. My wife is gifted with compassion for people. She just has a way of letting people know that God cares about them. She is designed to use that gift specifically for the Kingdom of God. 

Peter is telling us that God has given ALL of us specific gifts to be used for God's glory. When we don't use those gifts for their intended purpose, we are not complete and neither is our life's purpose. 

WHAT GIFT ARE YOU GIVEN SPECIFICALLY TO BE USED FOR GOD'S GLORY?

[1] https://www.blueletterbible.org/lexicon/g5486/kjv/tr/0-1/


Comments