Is my Good Life really Bad?

 


There is no question in my mind, I HAVE LIVED A GOOD LIFE!

Yesterday, many of my siblings, several grandkids, and even a great-great-grandkid, gathered at my mom's church to surprise her. She was playing the organ for the service. Playing the organ at church is one of the things my mother loves to do and at 85 (sorry Mom, but I need to make a point) she is still one of the best I have ever heard. After the service, we went to lunch and had some time to share. It was such a wonderful time. 

As I began reading 1 Peter today, I was thinking about how wonderful my life is. 1 Peter is a special letter from Peter to the suffering church. He is encouraging them from a knowledge of what they are going through. He had also suffered greatly for the gospel. He had been beaten, jailed, and persecuted for his faith. Peter had this amazing hope and joy even through his many trials:

"So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you must endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold - though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world." (1 Peter 1:6,7)

As I was pondering the joy Peter had, even in his difficulty, I was slightly disappointed I had not faced many trials in my life. It was hard for me to look at trials from my past and say, "YES, I count it as joy because I faced those trials!" 

Isn't that a strange thought? 

As I thought more and more, I started to realize I had been through many trials. My good life wasn't all that great. Nomy troubles weren't the same kind that Peter faced, but they were trials that tested my own faith. As I thought about those life difficulties, I realized God softened the impact of those trials through faith in him. It's not that I am anything special, I am certainly not! But, God has protected me, not by removing trouble, but by getting me through those troubles in such a way that I can have the attitude of Peter. I still have a joy that is difficult to explain. There will be more trials and pain, but I know and trust in the Lord enough that I can approach even the most difficult circumstances because of HIM!

I know there are many of you, even some of my own family members that are going through trials today. I have a wife who is having radiation treatments starting on Friday. I have a brother who is having difficulties finding a job. I have friends who are dealing with financial issues, losses of loved ones, cancer, and broken relationships.  I know they are not saying "YES, I am happy to go through these trials," but those who have faith in Jesus will be able to look back at those trials, just like Peter, and say, "It really wasn't that big of a trial!" THAT IS SUCH A GREAT JOY!

For those that are suffering, Peter has given this advice:

"You love him [Christ] even though you have never seen him. Though you do not see him now, you trust him: and you rejoice with a glorious, inexpressible joy. The reward for trusting him will be the salvation of your souls." (1 Peter 1:8,9)

Your suffering is testing your TRUST in him. 

DO YOU TRUST JESUS? 

If you truly trust him, he will fill you with an inexpressible joy. That trust leads to a perfect life in eternity with no more suffering, no more sorrow, and no more pain. Trust in the Lord with all your might EVEN in the midst of your trial and pain!


Comments