My problem with Christmas Part II - the perfect gift

 


We are now in the heart of the Christmas season and it is about this time every year I start realizing my "problem with Christmas." What is the perfect gift to give your wife, your kids, your grandkids, and your friends? The pressure is starting to mount and the tension is rising. Even as I type this, I am feeling some anxiety that there are ONLY 17 SHOPPING DAYS left until Christmas! YIKES!

Yes, some of you avoid the stress by getting all of your shopping done the day after Halloween. (You know who you are!) AND YES, that is a great plan if you have any idea what you are going to give. Some people are natural at choosing "cool gifts." That is NOT me!

So there it is --- one of my major Christmas "hang-ups" ---- gifts! 

Part of my problem with gifts is that the world is full of a lot of "stuff" and me adding to that "stuff" isn't the message I want to convey. 

So, what IS the perfect gift? 

I wish I could figure out how to wrap up the gift of patience, kindness, and contentment. I wish I could give "devil repellant" to all my family and friends. I wish I could give a magic pill to keep people from unfairly judging others, or to keep them from grumbling and complaining about the craziest things. Instead of buying tools (my go-to gift), toys, or gadgets, or silly things, what if I could give the greatest gift of all ----- Jesus!

As I finished reading the last two chapters of James today, all of these things filled my head. The opening of James chapter 4 describes the current state of affairs in our country and even around the world;

"What is causing quarrels and fights among you? Don't they come from the evil desires at war within you? You want what you don't have, so you scheme and kill to get it. You are jealous of what others have, but you can't get it, so you fight and wage war to take it away from them. Yet you don't have what you want because you don't ask God for it. And even when you ask, you don't get it because your motives are all wrong -- you want only what gives you pleasure." (James 4:1-3)

In all honesty, it is fun, although somewhat stressful, looking for the perfect gift for those I love. But, I have to agree with James, the power of prayer is the PERFECT GIFT to give to those I love. 

"Are any of you suffering hardships? You should pray. Are any of you happy? You should sing praises. Are any of you sick? You should call for the elders of the church to come and pray over you, anointing you with oil in the name of the Lord. Such a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make you well. And if you have committed any sins, you will be forgiven." (James 5:13-15)

So, if I DON'T get you the perfect gift this year, just realize I AM GIVING YOU THE PERFECT GIFT. I am spending time today and every day praying that you will receive the greatest gift in the world, the gift of Jesus Christ. That gift is eternal. It has no end and all the ills of this world quickly fade away at the mention of his name!

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!


Comments