What do you want for Christmas?

 


Ahh, yes, one of the classic Christmas movies, "A Christmas Story." All that Ralphie wanted for Christmas was an "official, Red Ryder, Carbine Action, two-hundred shot, range model, air rifle!" When I was a kid all I wanted was an Apollo - Saturn V Rocket Model. I never got it! LOL! I survived and don't feel too traumatized for not getting the gift of my dreams.

Hebrews 13 made me think of the commercial side of this holiday season.

"Don't love money, be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, 'I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.'" (Hebrews 13:5)

I remember living through the Sears or JCPenney Christmas Catalog when I was a young boy. We would make list after list of all the wonderful things we wanted for Christmas. As I matured, became a father and now as a grandfather, my entire view of Christmas gifts has changed. In all reality, when you are an adult, if you need something, you go out and buy it. It really doesn't matter if it's Christmas or the middle of July. If you were to ask me right now what I most wanted for Christmas, my mind would draw a blank. I would probably tell you something "mushy" like I want my family to be safe, healthy, and closer to Jesus in 2024. Truly, my greatest prayer is that my family and friends draw closer to Jesus. I have realized that nothing else really matters, not jobs, money, or any Christmas gift of this world. 

What Christ did for us on the cross is a gift that just can't be beaten. It is a gift that literally lasts forever. If we read through the last chapter of Hebrews we get a true definition of faith. Faith is not what we get from Jesus, it is what we give. We need to show hospitality. (Hebrews 13:1) We need to remember those in prison and those mistreated. (Hebrews 13:3) We need to remember our leaders. (Hebrews 13:4)

Faith is about giving to others, living sacrificially, doing good, and sharing with those in need. (Hebrews 13:16) 

When we have Jesus we do not need gifts from this world. This is a great summary of what we need from Christmas:

"Now may the God of peace -- who brought up from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great Shepherd of the sheep, and ratified an eternal covenant with his blood -- may he equip you with all you need for doing his will. May he produce in you, through the power of Jesus Christ, every good thing that is pleasing to him. All glory to him forever and ever! Amen!" (Hebrews 13:20,21)

Yes, may God give you all you need to serve him. We don't need the "stuff of this world." We need the perfect gift that only comes from Jesus. May he produce in you every good thing that is pleasing to him. 

That is my wish for you this Christmas. 




Comments