What will happen in 2024?

 


I love knowing stuff!

I enjoy research. I enjoy sharing Bible knowledge that people have not considered. I love digging DEEP into a topic and sharing that information with others. Some would call me a NERD for my incessant search for knowledge. SOOOOOO ........

When I was researching Revelation 5, I wanted to learn about the scroll that is the focus of this scene in John's vision from the Lord:

"Then I saw a scroll in the right hand of the one who was sitting on the throne. There was writing on the inside and outside of the scroll, and it was sealed with seven seals. And I saw a strong angel who shouted with a loud voice: 'Who is worthy to break the seals on this scroll and open it?' But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll and read it." (Revelation 5:1-3)

I can relate to John who broke down in tears wondering what was in the scroll. It was clearly a message of importance because God himself was holding it. There was a lot of information in the scroll because it had writing on both sides, a rarity in ancient writings. 

As I researched the scroll it became obvious there are many different ideas about what is on this scroll. Some speculate it matches the scrolls from Ezekiel and Daniel (Ezekiel 2:9-10, 3; Daniel 12:4-9) Others believe it is a deed of redemption, and still others believe it is a history of the things to come, to the end of times. 

But, as I maintain with all biblical writings, if God wanted us to know exactly what this scroll was, he would have revealed it!

So, what is the point of Revelation 5. What does it tell us about God, about ourselves, and how do we apply it today?

God is completely Sovereign. He knows all, sees all, and WE DON'T. My pursuit of knowledge is not evil, but there are things that I will not know and may never know. I do NOT know what will happen in 2024. That is so contrary to modern science. Many scientists believe we CAN know everything, even if we do not know it yet. They use what they know now to predict what SHOULD happen. This may be partially true, but --

GOD controls what we know and when we will know it.  Through the rest of Revelation God reveals the plans for the end times. He does not reveal it all, thus the mystery of this book. Many theologians and religious leaders live and die on their own interpretation of this book. They can't admit it or accept, we just don't know it all. 

The vision John had in Revelation 5 gives us our marching orders for right now. We must trust in the one who holds the scroll and the one who can open the scroll. AND He alone is worthy of honor, praise, and worship.  When we trust God with our future, WE DO NOT NEED TO KNOW EVERYTHING. We can rest in his arms that he has the perfect plan.

We do not know what 2024 will bring to us, but we can trust that God knows. Psalm 139 tells us that God knows everything about us, when we sleep, when we rise, and what the future holds. For those who trust in him, we can celebrate and worship, just like those in the vision of Revelation! 

"O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I'm far away. You see me when I travel and when I rest at home. You know everything I do. You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord. You go before me and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head." (Psalm 139:1-6)

"You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. How precious are your thoughts about me, O God." Psalm 139:15-17)

Comments