What are CHREASTERS?

 




My tradition of Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve was slightly delayed because of Sunday morning Christmas Eve services. As usual, our church had such a wonderfully powerful service and the place was packed. We added a third service to handle the crowds. I always think it is interesting that many people attend church twice a year, Christmas, and Easter. Some regular attendees call them "seasonal worshippers." Some call them CHREASTERS. I learned the New York Italian Catholics call them "Nataline and Pasqualine's." (I have to research that one!) Some protestants call them "C and E'ers!"

Yet, I feel a lot of hope when I see a packed house on these special days. Sometimes Mother's Day also has an increase in attendance! So why do I see hope in these seasonal "Chreasters?" It's simple. 

At these special events each year there is something that happens inside people, a movement of the Holy Spirit, that says, "I should be at church celebrating Jesus!" AND they obey that prompting! 

Our MINISTRY AT "the meeting place" is searching for persons of peace. A person of peace is someone who is searching, has questions, and/or is not fully committed to a life following Jesus. We want to find those people and help them. We want to help them explore their questions, seek answers, and MAYBE connect them with Jesus. Those CHREASTERS are persons of peace. THEY are open STILL to the gospel message and the promptings of the Holy Spirit!

As I was reading the first three chapters of Revelation today, I was struck by the messages for each of the Seven Churches. (Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea) Do you realize NONE of these churches survived through the past two thousand years? The two churches that received no rebuke, Smyrna and Philadelphia, didn't survive and lasted into the early part of the twentieth century. (per my "unofficial, non-exhaustive research.") Those two fell after World War 1 when Greece and Turkey fought a brief war. When the Muslims took over most of modern Turkey, these two faithful churches ceased to exist as before.[1]

I fear for the church. No, they will not cease to exist universally, but locally, I fear churches are losing their way. The bride of Christ has spent way too much time looking inward and very little time expanding the Kingdom. I know, some churches focus on evangelism. There are churches completely committed to the GREAT COMMISSION. But, the demands of serving their own members, and helping them grow in their faith, many times, precludes much work outside the church walls. 

So where does your church fall or maybe where do YOU fall as a member of Christ's body? Read these scriptures from Revelation. Where do you fit?

Ephesus - "I know all these things you do. I have seen your hard work and your patient endurance ... But I have this complaint against you, You don't love me  or each other as you did at first." (Revelation 2:2,4)

Smyrna - "I know about your suffering and your poverty - but you are rich! I know the blasphemy of those opposing you." (Revelation 2:9)

Pergamum - "I know you live in the city where Satan has his throne, yet you have remained loyal to me. You refuse to deny me... But I have a few complaints against you. You tolerate some among you whose teaching is like that of Balaam..." (Revelation 2:13,14)

Thyatira - "I know all the things you do. I have seen your love, your faith, your service, and your patience....But I have this complaint against you. You are permitting that woman - - that Jezebel who calls herself a prophet -- to lead my servants astray...." (Revelation 2:19,20)

Sardis - "I know all the things you do, and that you have a reputation for being alive.-- but you are dead. Wake up! Strengthen what little remains, for even what is left is almost dead. I find that your actions do not meet the requirements of my God." (Revelation 3:1,2)

Philadelphia - "I know all the things you do, and I have opened a door for you that no one can close. You have little strength, yet you obeyed my word and did not deny me." (Revelation 3:8)

Laodicea - "I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!" (Revelation 3:15,16)

SO, which church are you? Are you a lukewarm Christian? Have you forgotten your first love, JESUS CHRIST? Are you suffering for Christ? Are you tolerating false preaching? Are there friends of yours that are leading you astray? Is your faith dead, not seeking the lost because it is not easy?

Are you going after the CHREASTERS, welcoming them into your family, helping them grow closer to Christ, answering their questions, comforting them, loving them?

   

[1] https://www.quora.com/Do-any-of-the-seven-churches-addressed-in-Revelation-chapters-two-and-three-still-exist-If-so-which-ones-and-why


Comments