Old vs New!

 


We own two vehicles that have a combined 330,000 miles on them. One was built in 1997 and the other in 2015. We have replaced worn-out parts, engines, transmissions, tires, batteries, etc. But, essentially they are old vehicles that have been restored throughout their existence. It has been years since we owned a NEW vehicle. I remember purchasing new vehicles. The smell of a new vehicle is special. However, it doesn't take long for the first McDonald's french fry to find its way under the seat or spilled coffee stains to find the seats or floor. You never quite get the car back to that original new car smell. 

As I end my study of the Book of Revelation. The first words that struck me from Chapters 21 and 22 were the words NEW:

"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the old heaven and the old earth had disappeared. And the sea was also gone. And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven like a bride beautifully dressed for her husband." (Revelation 21:1,2)

As I was studying I found the word "new" in Greek, used in this passage has a great definition. It means: "of a new kind, unprecedented, novel, uncommon, unheard of, recently made, fresh, recent, unused, unworn." That is where we are going to live. I have been to Jerusalem. I love the smells, the people, and the old-world charm. BUT, We get something much better, something even better than that new car smell. We get something that has never been done before. We cannot imagine what it will be like because God is still "preparing" it for us, right? 

"Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself: that where I am, there ye may be also." (John 14:1-3)

Jesus told us that heaven and earth will pass away. (Matthew 24:35) He didn't say he was remodeling. He didn't say he was going to refurbish or rebuild the old. He isn't going to power wash the streets of Jerusalem or just clean up the slums of Chicago. We are getting something BRAND NEW! I cannot wait. John gives us several "sneak peaks" into what that means. No more seas, no more sun, no more darkness, no more dying, crying, sorrow, or pain! We have no need for a Temple or churches because God will be living with us, permanently. 

The earth we live in, our old cars, our houses, our jobs, and our lives, are ALL temporary. THEY WILL PASS AWAY. Yet, when we follow Jesus, we will receive a new life that will NEVER PASS AWAY. 

Who will get to experience this?

"To all who are thirsty, I will give freely from the springs of the water of life. All who are victorious will inherit all these blessings, and I will be their God, and they will be my children. But cowards, unbelievers, the corrupt, murderers, the immoral, those who practice witchcraft, idol worshippers, and all liars -- their fate is in the fiery lake of burning sulfur." (Revelation 21:6-8)

Praise God for our salvation and our eternal NEW home!

WHO'S COMING WITH ME?



Comments