Penny for your thoughts!

 

Have you ever USED the expression: "Penny for your thoughts?"

I am not sure I have ever used it. That doesn't mean there haven't been times I was curious about someone's thoughts. Probably a more typical statement for me is, "What were you thinking?" 

As a follower of Jesus Christ and someone who feels commissioned to make disciples, I spend a lot of time thinking about God! I spend about two hours every morning studying his word. I spend extended time in prayer morning, noon, and night. I study and prepare to lead Bible groups. I attend worship services and really feel I cannot know God well enough. And, I love to engage others in discussing their thoughts about God. 

So, when I was reading Isaiah 5 today, I was struck by the following verses:

"What sorrow for those who get up early in the morning looking for a drink of alcohol and spend long evenings drinking wine to make themselves flaming drunk. They furnish wine and lovely music at their grand parties -- lyre, harp, tambourine, and flute -- but they never think about the Lord or notice what he is doing. So my people will go into exile far away because they do not know me." (Isaiah 5:11-13)

As a disciple maker, our first goal is to get people to THINK ABOUT GOD. It's not to get them to read their Bible, although it helps. It's not to get them to pray, although it helps. It's not to get them to attend some church service or Bible study, although it helps! Our first job is to get them to THINK ABOUT GOD.

Our desire is to get our family, friends, coworkers, and fellow students,  to think about God in the same way an alcoholic thinks about his next drink. Are you addicted to thinking about God? Do you get withdrawals if you do not think about him? And, like a "party-driven" alcoholic, do you attempt to drag others into your addiction to God? 

So, let me ask you: How often during your daily routine do you think about God? 

I am sitting here contemplating how I can get others to think more about God. Instead of asking, "Penny for your thoughts?" Maybe we should ask, "Have you thought about God today?" If the answer is no, follow up with "Why not?" If the answer is yes, have them share their thoughts. 

Isaiah 5 talks about feeling sorry for people who don't think about God, who are being dragged down by addictions, held back by their sins, who are confused about right and wrong, and who think their intellect replaces thoughts of God. Now that I know what it is like to think about God throughout the day, I DO feel sorry for those who don't think about him. As I think about him, my eyes are open to all that he is doing in my life. Joy fills my soul and excitement, not dread, fills my waking hours!

I remember what life was like when I rarely thought about God. My day was filled with worry and stress. When I spend time thinking about all that I have to accomplish, bills, jobs, family, schedules, deadlines, sickness, and pain, I never have a moment of peace. I finally realized the more I think about God, the more I experience peace. The more peace I experienced the more I became addicted to thinking about God. 

You should try it!

Comments