"They get what they deserve!"

 


I was reading the "rest of the story" in the book of Jonah this morning. Most people know about Jonah running from God, getting swallowed by a giant fish, living there for three days, and then God saving him! It is a fantastic story. But, the "REST OF THE STORY," might even be more amazing. 

We find that Jonah didn't want to go to Nineveh because he didn't want to have anything to do with God's amazing grace. God told Jonah to preach about his plans to destroy Nineveh. Jonah must have done such a great job preaching that people turned to God. Even the King:

"When the king of Nineveh heard what Jonah was saying, he stepped down from his throne and took off his royal robes. He dressed himself in burlap and sat on a heap of ashes." (Jonah 3:6)

The king gave a decree for everyone to mourn and pray to God earnestly and change their way of life as a plea to God. (Jonah 3:7-9)

IT WORKED, GOD CHANGED HIS MIND. He decided against destroying Nineveh AND JONAH WASN'T HAPPY ABOUT IT!

"This change of plans greatly upset Jonah, and he became very angry. So he complained to the lord about it: "Didn't I say before I left home that you would do this, Lord? That is why I ran away to Tarshish! I knew that you are a merciful and compassionate God, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. You are eager to turn back from destroying people. Just kill me now, Lord! I'd rather be dead than alive if what I predicted will not happen!" (Jonah 4:1-3)

I know some of my Christian brothers and sisters who think the same way. They want people to get what they deserve. They see the evil in the world and if they see people suffering for their sins, they are happy.

If they would just think about that, think about what they are really saying, they might change their minds. God's amazing grace is a reality for ALL OF US who turn to him. When we turn to Jesus NONE of us get what we deserve. Through God's amazing grace, JESUS GETS WHAT WE DESERVE. We deserve eternal death and punishment, but Jesus gave his life for us that we do not get what we deserve.

I am so thankful God sent his SON so that I do not get what I deserve. I know who I am. I know my life, my weaknesses, and my sin. If we all stop to think, we should praise God that he changed his mind and decided to save us!


Comments