Where do you get wise advice?


  I miss my Dad. My father passed away 23 years ago next week. The more I live as a full-time pastor, the more I wish he was around to give some of his wise advice. My Dad went into ministry late in his life. I guess in that sense I am following in his footsteps. When I was younger and my Dad was alive, I certainly valued his input, but I really never sought it like I should have. Now that he is gone, I am greatly saddened by the opportunities I missed seeking his counsel.

I have had other mentors who really helped fill that void left by my Dad. Phil Bontrager was one of those guys that gave great advice and watched over me. I sure miss him. Dave Long has been a trusted advisor, especially on my journey through seminary and pursuing ordination. Steve Roscoe has been a valuable asset, a guy who is not afraid to ask the tough questions. Several other trusted counselors have been my brother, Tom, of course, my wife Stephanie, and Phil Brown. I am sure as I think, my list of people will grow.

What made me dwell on the topic of receiving wise advice? I was reading 2 Chronicles 24:1-3:

"Joash was seven years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem forty years. His mother was Zibiah from Beersheba. Joash did what was pleasing in the Lord's sight throughout the lifetime of Jehoiada the priest. Jehoiada chose two wives for Joash, and he had sons and daughters." (2 Chronicles 24:1-3) 

Joash was hidden for years until he was announced with quite the fanfare in Chronicles 23. When this seven-year-old boy was thrust into his royal position, obviously, he couldn't be successful without wise counsel. Jehoiada was that counselor for him. Jehoiada lived for 130 years and was a man of God. He was blessed with a long life because of his dedication to the Lord. 

We need to have a group of trusted GODLY advisors;

    "Get all the advice and instruction you can, so you will be wise the rest of your life." (Proverbs 19:20)

    "The lips of the wise give good advice; the heart of a fool has none to give." (Proverbs 12:15)

    "If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise." (Proverbs 15:31)

When Jehoiada passed away, Joash lost a key advisor and got some really bad advice.

"But after Jehoiada's death, the leaders of Judah came and bowed before King Joash and persuaded him to listen to their advice. They decided to abandon the Temple of the Lord, the God of their ancestors, and they worshiped Asherah poles and idols instead!" (2 Chronicles 24:17,18)

Where do you get wise advice? Who do you go to when you need guidance? I love consulting scripture and praying in solitude/silence. Yet, there are times when I just need counsel from another person. Finding a godly person, someone who spends time deep in scripture, and is focused on their relationship with the Lord is the only way to go. 

Lord, I praise you for the men and women of God in my life. I praise you for how you speak to my heart and direct my path. Thank you for your love, mercy, and grace. Amen!




Comments