Being an Old Stump!

 


I know people are reading this who are older than me. Yet, I am old. I think I started realizing how old I was a couple of years ago. Besides being retired, living off of social security and my teacher pension, a definite sign of aging, I also spend more money on doctors and prescriptions the older I get. I have heard it said, "Getting old is not for whimps!" Gray hair, wrinkles, aches, pains, and fatigue are all a part of growing old.

BUT, WE DO NOT HAVE TO QUIETLY FADE INTO THE SUNSET!

As I was reading Isaiah 11 today, I read a familiar passage for most Christians:

"Out of the stump of David's family will grow a shoot -- yes, a new Branch bearing fruit from the old root. And the Spirit of the Lord will rest upon him -- the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of Knowledge and the fear of the Lord. He will delight in obeying the Lord. He will not judge by appearance nor make a decision based on hearsay." (Isaiah 9:1-3)

Of course, this scripture is speaking of Jesus. Jesus is filled with PERFECT wisdom and understanding. He is a mighty counselor and embraces all knowledge and joy. He is perfect and we are not. Yet, I think there are some things we can learn from this passage about aging as a follower of Jesus.

Just because you are eligible for Social Security, retired from regular work, or spend the bulk of your income on doctors and medicine, does not mean that God is done with you! The picture above of the old worn, weathered stump of an oak tree has a brand new shoot coming from within. YOU still have the potential to bear much fruit. God has brought you through many trials and tribulations in your sixty + years of life. You have gained wisdom and understanding from your life's experiences. You have knowledge and fear of the Lord. You delight in obeying the Lord. You are wise in your interactions with others and all of this wisdom and knowledge needs to be shared with the next generation. YES, we have made mistakes, committed many sins, hurt people, and been hurt by people. But your life's experiences can help others through similar trials and overcome similar barriers. 

For those reading this that are NOT old. Seek the wisdom and advice of your elders. Learn from their mistakes and their victories. Rely upon them to share their faith and how God has been with them through toils and troubles. 

To sprout that new "shoot" we have to be willing to share, to be bold in going out and sharing the ups and downs of our lives. Yesterday, I had the occasion to talk to two young men at "the meeting place." One was embarking on ministry, planting a church here in Bluffton and the other just stopped in to talk. As we interacted he asked about advice I would give him as a father of a two and three-year-old. It took me back to the joys of raising our three daughters. There were things I did right and certainly things I would have changed. I was able to pull from those good experiences and my regrets to give him some of my wisdom and advice. These two men are young shoots coming out of this old stump! 

"Wisdom belongs to the aged, and understanding to the old." (Job 12:12)

"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."(Proverbs 27:17)

"O God, you have taught me from my earliest childhood, and I constantly tell others about the wonderful things you do. Now that I am old and gray, do not abandon me, O God. Let me proclaim your power to this new generation, your mighty miracles to all who come after me." (Psalm 71:17,18)

YOU are still on this earth because God has chosen to keep you here. He has a continuing purpose for you and that purpose is to proclaim his power to a new generation and share the mighty miracles he has performed in your life!


Comments