How can I convince you? We gotta do more!


 Sometimes we are trying to use a bullhorn to share the gospel and what we really need is just a good pair of hands and feet!

When you are passionate about something it is easy to want EVERYONE to share that same passion and fervor. That is certainly true for my love of Jesus. I want, more than anything, to get people fired up for the gospel and share the gospel with everyone they meet. So, here's my plan: I tell them about Jesus, how he died for my sins, how he rescued me, and how he has changed my life. BOOM! They accept Jesus and I move to the next person. I repeat the process. They become a follower of Jesus and I rinse/repeat for the rest of my life. 

WoW! Wouldn't that be awesome. That isn't how it works. When people SEE JESUS in our daily lives, in our actions, how we treat others, and what we do to help them and serve them, THEN they will be open to the gospel message!

As I was reading the story of the rich man and Lazarus this morning, it occurred to me that to convince some one we have to do more than talk them into the Kingdom of God!

"Jesus said, 'There was a certain rich man who was splendidly clothed in purple and fine linen and who lived each day in luxury. At his gate lay a poor man named Lazarus who was covered with sores. As Lazarus lay there longing for scraps from the rich man's table, the dogs would come and lick his open sores. 

Finally, the poor man died and was carried by the angels to sit beside Abraham at the heavenly banquet. The rich man also died and was buried, and he went to the place of the dead. There, in torment, he saw Abraham in the far distance with Lazarus at his side. The rich man shouted, 'Father Abraham, have some pity! Send Lazarus over here to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue. I am in anguish in these flames.' But Abraham said to him, 'Son, remember that during your lifetime you had everything you wanted, and Lazarus had nothing. So now he is here being comforted, and you are in anguish. And besides, there is a great chasm separating us. No one can cross over to you from here, and no one can cross over to us from there.' 

Then the rich man said, 'Please Father Abraham, at least send him to my father's home. For I have five brothers, and I want him to warn them so they don't end up in this place of torment.' But Abraham said, 'Moses and the Prophets have warned them. Your brothers can read what they wrote.' The rich man replied, 'No, Father Abraham! But if someone is sent to them from the dead, then they will repent of their sins and turn to God.' But Abraham said, 'If they won't listen to Moses and the prophets, they won't be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.'" (Luke 16:19-31, emphasis added)

Having God here on the earth, being horrifically killed, and then being raised from the dead is pretty spectacular, AND YET, people don't believe! Now two thousand years later just sharing the wonderful story of Jesus isn't enough and I don't think Jesus JUST wants us to tell people the story!

Jesus wants us to share the gospel with our hands and our feet. He wants us to take care of the homeless, the outcast, the forgotten, the oppressed, and the lost! We do this by our actions, demonstrating the love of Jesus by what we do, not JUST what we say.

Work with the homeless. Work at a food bank. Help those forgotten or rejected by society, feel needed, wanted, and loved! Sit with a friend who is struggling. Go to a nursing home and sit with the residents. Love them like Christ would love them. Don't judge, don't preach. Just share the love of Jesus by being present in their lives. Get out of your comfort zone and GO INTO ALL THE WORLD TO SHARE THE GOSPEL. Yes, use words, but most importantly use your hands and your feet!


Comments