I need a watchdog!


When my wife reads this post, she will give a double-take! No, I do not need a dog. Our family has had many dogs who were members of our family throughout the years. Yet, I don't really remember any of them as true "watchdogs." Most of my dogs would lick someone to death as their weapon of choice. Or they were so lazy, they wouldn't even raise an eyebrow if an intruder entered our home. To me a watchdog is a dog who feels his/her primary duty is to protect the family from harm. They would be vigilant, focused, and have a heart of service and sacrifice. Today there are dogs specifically trained to watch over their owners. Seeing Eye dogs were some of the first, but now dogs help many people struggling with anxiety, diabetes, blindness, loneliness, etc. My dogs? They were none of these things. 

As usual, I was reading my Bible this morning and was reading about a "watchman" in Isaiah 21. 

"Meanwhile the Lord said to me, 'Put a watchman on the city wall. Let him shout out what he sees. He should look for chariots drawn by pairs of horses and for riders on donkeys and camels. Let the watchman be fully alert." (Isaiah 21:6,7)

My thoughts this morning turn to our "spiritual" watchmen. Do you have people in your life who are vigilant, watching out for evil or disaster that is on your doorstep? Do you have someone you have given permission to speak the truth in response to what they see on the horizon in your life? Do you have someone, trained in scripture the same way a dog is trained to watch out and care for its owner? 

(I cherish this role. If YOU need someone to be YOUR watchman, contact me at rhoadzie@gmail.com. I would love to do this privately for you!)

We all need a watchman, much more than we need a watchdog! Yet, I fear few of us have people in life we trust enough to provide wisdom and discernment in our walk. I have had several throughout my life. They are valuable friends and help me with my walk with the Lord. Find someone. Find someone who reads and knows the Word of God. Find someone with callouses on their needs from praying. Find someone who knows how to worship the Lord. Open up to them and specifically request they speak truth and wisdom into your life. It really shouldn't be your spouse, although spouses also provide for much wisdom and guidance. It should not be a coworker or someone who has a vested interest in you as a boss or subordinate. Find someone unbiased, yet full of the Lord. Build a relationship with them, take them to breakfast, and give them permission to speak openly and without hindrance or fear of persecution. 

We all need a watchman to tell us when evil is approaching. God does not expect us to do life alone. He speaks through others as much or more than speaking to us directly. Pray the Lord provides a watchman in your life. 

"Obey your spiritual leaders, and do what they say. Their work is to watch over your souls, and they are accountable to God. Give them reason to do this with joy and not with sorrow. That would certainly not be for your benefit." (Hebrews 13:17)

These spiritual leaders do not need to be trained or ordained pastors. 

"But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves." (Luke 22:26)

The idea of spiritual leaders in Hebrews is the same as in Luke. We are looking for a leader who serves as their primary mission in life. You are looking for someone willing to sacrifice themselves to make sure your heart is protected. They are willing to give time, energy, prayer, and study to be the best "spiritual leader" God has called them to be.

Find a spiritual leader,  a watchman, in your life.



Comments