NOT - Mr. Compassion

 


Do you ever have personal, private debates with God?

For some reason, I am not known as a man filled with compassion. I hate it. I truly love people and my heart goes out to those that are hurting and are experiencing pain from homelessness, broken relationships, illness, disease, and financial hardship. God has filled me with a mind for logic, organization, and a FIXER personality. That is the part of me that people see. So, I debate with God and ask him to change me. Hide my logical, coldness and make me more like Jesus. If I were Paul, I would call this my thorn in the flesh.

SO much for personal, PRIVATE debates with God. LOL!

Today in Lisa Harpers Bible Study, she talked about the greek word "splagchnizomai" which means "moved with compassion." She gave two short Bible Stories about being moved with compassion:

"A man with leprosy came and knelt in front of Jesus, begging to be healed. 'If you are willing, you can heal me and make me clean,' he said. Moved with compassion, Jesus reached out and touched him. 'I am willing,' he said. 'Be healed!' Instantly the leprosy disappeared, and the man was healed." (Mark 1:40-42)

"Soon afterward Jesus went with his disciples to the village of Nain, and a large crowd followed him. A funeral procession was coming out as he approached the village gate. The young man who had died was a widow's only son, and a large crowd from the village was with her. When the Lord saw her, his heart overflowed with compassion. 'Don't cry!' he said. Then he walked over to the coffin and touched it, and the bearers stopped. 'Young man,' he said, 'I tell you, get up.' Then the dead boy sat up and began to talk! And Jesus gave him back to his mother." (Luke 7:11-15)

Jesus was filled with compassion, a deep movement of compassion, "splagchnizomai." The leper asked for help. The mother was so distraught, lacking any hope, that she didn't even ask. Yet, Jesus new the need and he responded with great compassion to both.

There are a lot of "lepers" and "moms" in this world that need our compassion. A leper in the first century was isolated, lonely, and abandoned by society. They were outcasts and shunned by everyone. There are moms in this world who feel no hope and have nowhere to turn. They are also forgotten. They bear their pain deep inside their heart. They, like the Leper, feel alone, isolated, and abandoned. As followers of Jesus Christ it is our mission to be Jesus to these people. With some of these people we can SEE their pain. With others, they hide their pain so well, but the pain is real and they need the hope of Jesus.

Lord, Jesus, fill me with your compassion. Fill me with your love. Give me the eyes to see the people in this world that need you the most. Please Lord do not let me ignore them. Do not let me walk by with out taking action. You Lord are Mr. Compassion. You are the great example for us and I beg that the Church, including me, most of all, would do everything possible to become more like you! Amen!


Comments