What's it going to cost me?

 

With costs soaring due to inflation, this is a pretty common question? 

I started a little fundraising ministry here at "the meeting place" doing laser engraving. I make signs, ornaments, tumblers, and various other items with my Laser. It is a great ministry tool and adds some money to pay for our lights, utilities, and day-to-day ministry costs. It also gives me an outlet for creativity!

The first response I get on FB when I post a new project is how wonderful it looks. I greatly appreciate the affirmations. The next question is HOW MUCH? What is the asking price for a particular item? I mention the cost of the materials and then leave it up to them how much they are willing to pay. This approach to business isn't very strategic and probably not a strategy listed in a business text book. Anything I make is "sold" by donation alone. I provide a service and it is all for the Lord. What is the value to you? People have been generous and I am forever grateful for the support. 

As I continue with my Lisa Harper study of the Gospel of Luke, Lisa asked this question:

What are you willing to give up to be closer to Jesus? 

This question fills my head with a hundred other similar questions: What is the value of your relationship with Jesus? What are you willing to sacrifice to share that message of salvation?

Look what Jesus faced in Luke chapter 4:

"Then Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan River. He was led by the Spirit in the wilderness, where he was tempted by the devil for forty days. Jesus ate nothing all that time and became very hungry. " (Luke 4:1,2)

Look how he was treated in his own home town of Nazareth:

"When they heard this, they people in the synagogue were furious. Jumping up, they mobbed him and forced him to the edge of the hill on which the town was built. They intended to push him over the cliff, but he passed right through the crowd and went on his way." (Luke 4:28-30)

Ultimately, Jesus gives up his life for YOU and ME. There is no greater sacrifice. I doubt many of us will ever be asked to give up our life for the Gospel. But, we are called to make sacrifices. Lisa shared this quote from Dietrich Bonhoeffer:

"To deny oneself is to be aware only of Christ and no more of self, to see only him who goes before and no more the road which is too hard for us. Once more, all that self-denial can say is: 'He leads the way, keep close to him."

I am greatly saddened by Christians who sit comfortably in the church pew on Sunday morning or take in all the knowledge by studying scripture, yet do nothing with this knowledge and wisdom. I am heart broken at the people in this world who desparately need a savior, but Christians who are only concerned with self, refuse to "go into all the world and make disciples."

Jesus calls us to sacrifice our time, our finances, our comfort, to go and share the Gospel. What are you afraid of. Are you afraid of rejection? Jesus was rejected for you. Are you afraid it will embarass you with your friends and family? Jesus was rejected by his own home town. They tried to kill him. Are you afraid it will cost you your job? your finances? your home? How many times have you offered to pray with someone who is going through a trial? I'm not talking about SAYING you will pray for them. I am saying, stopping right where you are and saying, "Can I pray for you RIGHT NOW? How many opportunities have you had to say, "Have you taken this pain, this trial, this problem to Jesus? Most people, even good solid Christians, are unwilling to make any sacrifices even though Jesus paid the ultimate sacrifice for them. Most are perfectly content listening to a great Sunday morning message or the guidance of a wonderful Bible Scholar, basking in the joy of what they have learned. 

I would rephrase Lisa's question:

"What are you willing to give up to go into the world to share the message of Jesus Christ?

What is it going to cost and are you willing to pay that cost?


Comments