Being Sick!


 There is a lot of sickness being passed around in our family. Stephanie was the latest victim. She "got sick" on the way home from school, went straight to bed and has had quite the sickness. We all got together on Saturday for "Easter Paint Fest 2024" and that was probably the tool used to pass this stuff around. There is nothing worse than puking and diarrhea, fever, and aching bones. It doesn't seem to last long but it is miserable while you have it!

As I was reading Psalm 6 today; David was talking about "spiritual sickness."

"O Lord, don't rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your rage. Have compassion on me, Lord, for I am weak. Heal me, Lord, for my bones are in agony. I am sick at heart. How long, O Lord, until you restore me? Return, O Lord, and rescue me. Save me because of your unfailing love. For the dead do not remember you. Who can praise you from the grave? I am worn out from sobbing. All night I flood my bed with weeping, drenching it with my tears. My vision is blurred by grief; my eyes are worn out because of all my enemies." (Psalm 6:1-7)

It is obvious that David is spiritually sick. For David, in this psalm, to say that things are going poorly is an understatement. Maybe his sickness is from poor choices, maybe it is from battle, maybe it is from broken relationships, or maybe it is a combination of all these things. The depth of his sickness is real and he sounds as if he has lost all hope. But, he does the right thing. He turns to the Lord.

Stephanie went right to bed when she realized she was sick. She didn't have to go to the doctor, but if she didn't heal right away she would turn to the doctor for medicine. We all have bouts with illness, some are more serious than others. We know when we need to turn to the doctor for healing. In our spiritual lives, we are going to have some serious bouts with "Spiritual illness." We are going to face times when we feel defeated or we have sinned in a way that we know God will be angry with us. We will face doubts, worries, and the stresses of life. We will face tears that just won't stop, grief that seems unbearable, and we might think we are going to die from it all. There are times when we lose hope. 

David had it right..... he turned to the Lord:

"The Lord has heard my plea; the Lord will answer my prayer." (Psalm 6:9)

There is nothing you have done, no sickness you are facing, that the Lord will not rescue you. There is no sin you have committed that will keep you from the love of God. Turn to the Lord in your sickness. Turn to him when you feel all hope is lost. He will rescue you. He will restore you!



Comments