Do you have any Enemies?

 


There are times when I am reading the Bible and I just cannot relate to what is written. Today is definitely one of those times. David wrote the third Psalm and focused on his enemies. If you read the stories of David, his life we filled with enemies. From the very beginning of life as a shepherd, he fought wild animals that would harm him and his flock. He fought Goliath. Saul tried to kill him. As king, he had many enemies and his own son wanted to destroy him. I just can't relate. 

I am continuing a brief survey of the Psalms and today I was reading Psalm 3:

O Lord, I have so many enemies; so many are against me. So many are saying, "God will never rescue him!" But you, O Lord, are a shield around me; you are my glory, the one who holds my head high. I cried out to the Lord, and he answered me from his holy mountain. I lay down and slept, yet I woke up in safety, for the Lord was watching over me. I am not afraid of ten thousand enemies who surround me on every side. Arise, O Lord! Rescue me, my God! Slap all my enemies in the face! Shatter the teeth of the wicked! Victory comes from you, O Lord. May you bless your people." (Psalm 3)

As I read this Psalm, I could not think of someone I considered an enemy. Who would I want slapped in the face? As I look back on my life there may have been people that opposed me. I remember in 2017 before retirement, a group of teachers opposed what I was doing in the classroom. It was a difficult time in my life. Even with that strong opposition, I never consider them my enemy. 

The definition of enemy is: "a person who is actively opposed or hostile to you; something or someone who harms you." 

Do you have enemies? 

God has enemies. 

God has people that are actively opposed and hostile to him. Although God cannot be harmed, his enemies keep people from drawing close to him and this does hurt him. So, while I cannot think of a personal enemy. Any enemy of God is an enemy of mine.

But, what does Jesus tell us to do with our enemies:

"You have heard the law that says, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!" (Matthew 5:43,44)

And another powerful verse:

"Don't rejoice when your enemies fall; don't be happy when they stumble. For the Lord will be displeased with you and will turn his anger away from them." (Proverbs 24:17,18)

I praise the Lord that he has shielded me from my enemies. He has given me a position in his army to defeat his enemies. We oppose those who oppose God. Yet, we battle them with love and kindness. Serving them and praying for them. We mourn for those that fall away. We sincerely pray for their eternal salvation. 

I praise the Lord because I have not faced fierce enemies like David. I am blessed beyond anything I could ever explain. I sleep at night and even when I wake up, it is not to dwell on the enemy that opposes me. I am not afraid, even though I sense evil throughout this world. Thank you, Lord, for your shield and protection. Thank you for holding my head up high and help me continue to fight against YOUR enemies. 


Comments