He was different!

 


It is not a secret. I have greatly enjoyed "the Chosen" representation of the Gospel story. I also have loved the tag line, "Get Used to Different." There is no question that Jesus stands apart from religious leaders leading up to his day and he is also very different than our leaders of today! We want to mimic the life of Jesus and his high ideals, mission in life, and love for people should define who we are.

In Isaiah 42, I ran across a scripture that validates my thinking of Jesus as being set apart.

"Look at my servant, whom I strengthen. He is my chosen one, who pleases me. I have put my Spirit upon him. He will bring notice to the nations. He will not shout or raise his voice in public. He will not crush the reed or put on a flickering candle. He will bring justice to all who have been wronged. He will not falter or lose heart until justice prevails throughout the earth. Even distant lands beyond the sea will wait for his instruction." (Isaiah 42:1-4)

As I contemplated the trial and persecution of Jesus, I thought how would I react? How would I respond if I were persecuted? Would I be able to stand in silence, not shouting, not raising my voice, even though I had been wronged? Jesus was able to stand with head raised and full of confidence because he knew what me done to save us from eternal death. 

In our country we are so "comfortable." We have not faced the persecution faced by so many followers of Jesus around the world. We have never seen anyone persecuted and tortured as Jesus was. Yet, in his life, he bore no guilt; he never sinned. He was treated as someone who was filled with guilt. Our guilt was transferred to him. Isaiah talks specifically about this persecution in Isaiah 53. He never fought the heaps of sins placed on him, our sin. 

We are called to be like Jesus. 

"I the Lord, have called you to demonstrate my righteousness. I will take you by the hand and guard you, and I will give you to my people, Israel, as a symbol  of my covenant wit them. And you will be a light to guide the nations. You will open the eyes of the blind. You will free the captives from prison, releasing those who sit in dark dungeons." (Isaiah 42:6)

We are called to live a life or righteousness the same as Jesus. When we do this, we will be guarded, no longer living in darkness. 

I may doubt my ability to withstand the corruption and persecution of evil. God knows I can stand. He will make it so. I praise my God for his mighty hand of protection and will stand up as he calls. I will not stand with hate, lout shouts, or fight with a sword or army. I will face death just as he did. I will survive just as he did, because he promised it. He makes us to be holy, standing apart. We  should stand in boldness against evil, but more important we need to stand up in a different way from the rest of the world. We must stand with humility, grace, peace, and love.  

Get used to different. Be different in a dark world. Be his light in the darkness. Be the vessel, the ambassador, God has called. Sharing his message of hope and love. God will give you HIS strength!


Comments