It's EVALUATION time! Be gentle!




 No one wants to hear bad news. No one likes to be told what to do, what to say, how to act? No one wants to be called on the carpet for an error in judgment. We don't like to feel the discomfort of being evaluated. Throughout my work-life I sat through many an annual evaluation. I don't remember the specifics of any of them, but I do remember the discomfort of knowing I was heading to the boss's office to discuss my annual performance. I was always amazed at my stress due to this event. Not to sound like I am boasting, but I knew in my heart I had nothing to worry about. I was a dedicated employee, working hard to make sure I was doing the right thing. Yet, it still made me nervous.

Now I don't report to a "boss," I report to the Lord. Do you want to know something strange? I still get nervous when I speak to someone, share the gospel, lead a bible study, or write a blog. I want to do and say what is right, not necessarily what people want to hear. As a follower of Jesus Christ, I place a lot of value in what I say and what I do. I do not want to lead people astray, turn them off to the Lord, or speak anything but the truth. 

So many people avoid the truth of the gospel because it is going to point out the sins and weaknesses in their lives. Their ears are itching to hear good thoughts and not necessarily the truth. As I was reading Isaiah this morning, Israel was under the threat of Assyria. They were worried and so, instead of turning to the Lord, they turned to their neighbor Egypt. They felt they couldn't turn to the Lord because if they did he would certainly point to their faults that got them into the predicament they were in. Israel was in no mood to hear the truth. Here is what the prophet Isaiah told them:

"Now go and write down these words. Write them in a book. They will stand until the end of time as a witness that these people are stubborn rebels who refuse to pay attention to the Lrod's instructions. They tell seers, 'Stop seeing visions!' They tell prophets, 'Don't tell us what is right! Tell us nice things. Tell us lies. Forget all this gloom. Get off your narrow path. Stop telling us about your 'Holy One of Israel.' 

This is the reply of the Holy One of Israel: 'Because you despise what I tell you and trust instead in oppression and lies, calamity will come upon you suddenly -- like a bulging wall that bursts and falls. In an instant, it will collapse and come crashing down." (Isaiah 30:8-13)

As someone who is committed to the Lord Jesus Christ, I am bound to tell the truth of the gospel. I am committed to sharing, even the hard things, with love and compassion. But, I will not shy away from the truth. Just as the Lord, I do not want any to perish. (2 Peter 3:9) I am constantly under evaluation from the Lord himself. I turn to him for guidance and instruction. He never avoided the difficult truths in life. I will not avoid those truths, either. Eventually, I will be called in front of the Lord, and I will be held accountable for the things I did in this life. It will be the FINAL EVALUATION. I praise God; at that moment, Jesus will step in and say, ""I've got you covered. All your sins, mistakes, and misspoken words are covered because you repented and believed in me!" 

Thank you, Lord!

I love each of you and pray you will not be afraid to search for the truth. Open up the word of God. He will reveal all things to you, and he will set you free from the lies that enslave you. 



Comments