"But my work seems so useless!"


 Do you ever get the feeling you are just spinning your wheels, not getting anything accomplished? As a teacher, I often felt that way. I would work hard one day, students would seem like they were grasping what ever concept I was teaching. Twenty-four hours later it was like they were taught nothing. We were back to square one. If there is some comfort in these thoughts it is that Jesus had the exact same experience:

"At this they began to argue with each other because they hadn't brought any bread. Jesus knew what they were saying, so he said, 'Why are you arguing about having no bread? Don't you know or understand even yet? Are your hearts to hard to take it in? You have eyes -- can't you see? You have ears -- can't you hear? Don't you remember anything at all? When I fed the 5,000 with five loaves of bread, how many baskets of leftovers did you pick up afterward?" (Mark 8:16-19)

There were other occasions where Jesus felt like he was making no progress. Listen to Isaiah 49:

"The Lord called me before my birth; from within the womb he called me by name. He made my words of judgment as sharp as a sword. He has hidden me in the shadow of his hand. I am like a sharp arrow in his quiver. He said to me, "You are my servant, Israel, and you will bring me glory!' I replied, 'But my work seems so useless! I have spent my strength for nothing and to no purpose. Yet, I leave it all in the Lord's hand; I will trust God for my reward.' (Isaiah 49:1-4)

There are many times in my two years of ministry at "the meeting place" I thought I was spinning my wheels, making no progress, where I thought my work seemed so useless. My response is the same, "I leave it all in the Lord's hand. I will trust in him!"

I know there are people genuinely serving the Lord, many of them are pastors, but there are others in addition to those called to full-time ministry. Please be encouraged when it seems you are not making an impact. Please be encouraged when it seems you are taking two steps backward. Keep up the faith, keep going into all the world sharing the Gospel message. Trust in the Lord. NOTHING YOU DO FOR THE LORD IS USELESS!

"So my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless."(1 Corinthians 15:58)



Comments