Frustrated with God?

 

Life is such a rollercoaster of events and emotions. I have been at such peace lately. I feel God's presence and his guidance nearly every day. Things are wonderful. I know enough to know that this peace and joy is not because of anything I have done. I don't deserve a second of joy. I don't deserve anything of the blessings God has provided. It is only through his grace, amazing grace!

I was a little shocked today to read a verse in Jeremiah:

"Then I said [Jeremiah], 'O sovereign Lord, the people have been deceived by what you said, for you promised peace for Jerusalem. But the sword is held at their throats!" (Jeremiah 4:10)

It was pretty bold of Jeremiah. I can sense his frustration with God. I can sense a little bit of anger and asking WHY? 

Jeremiah was overwhelmed because God's wrath was about to be experienced by Judah. The future was not bright, it was dark and filled with defeat and exile. This one verse was Jeremiah expressing frustration with God.

Even though Jeremiah expresses his frustration, God accepted that frustration and didn't raise his hand against his prophet. There is no evidence God took it personally.

I have to admit I have been frustrated with God in my past. I have often asked, "Why? Is this really the right thing you are doing? Is this pain and frustration really GOOD for me? If it is, I don't see it."

I really believe God is ok with our frustrations. He is ok with our questioning. He understands who we are. He understands we don't see the entire picture, that we don't know the future. He is a big God. He can handle our frustration and even our anger toward him. 

It is ok to express our frustrations directly to God. He can handle it. He wants us to know, that even in our frustration and our anger, he loves us and wants nothing but the best for us. He will respond as we remain faithful even in times of frustration. Later in Jeremiah listen to God's response to Jeremiah's frustration:

"This is what the Lord of Heaven's Armies, the God of Israel, says:  'Do not let your prophets and fortune tellers who are with you in the land of Babylon trick you. Do not listen to their dreams, because they are telling you lies in my name, I have not sent the.' says the Lord. This is what the Lord says: 'You will be in Babylon for seventy years. But then I will come and do for you all the good things I have promised, and I will bring you home again. For I know the plans I have for you,' says the Lord. 'They are plans for good and not disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. I will be found by you,' says the Lord. 'I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes. I will gather you out of the nations where I sent you and will bring you home again to your own land.'" (Jeremiah 29:8-14)

We love you, Lord. We thank you, Lord, for the times of peace, and even though we get frustrated with you, we love you dearly and will always serve you. We know you have wonderful plans for us as we remain faithful to you and even if we go through trials and pains, your plans are perfect. Our hope is in you, Lord. Amen!

Comments