He Will Provide!

 

 

I am getting ready to send out our quarterly newsletter. There is one article in it that bothers me, but I have kept it in because I feel it is what God wants me to do.

"The meeting place" ministry is a calling. God spoke to me in a dream, and I obeyed that call by starting this ministry. I truly believe this is God's ministry. I know people say that all the time. This is God's business. This is God's Church. This is God's (fill in the blank). There are days I try to take it over. I worry, I fret, I wonder if I am doing what I am supposed to. Am I being active enough seeking people to disciple? Are we going to have enough money to do the things God has called us to do? All of those worries and questions speak to my weakness and lack of faith.

Today I was directed to read one of my favorite stories in the Old Testament. Hezekiah was a lot like me. He was a good King. He had his flaws and made mistakes throughout his reign, but his heart was constantly seeking God. 

"In this way, King Hezekiah handled the distribution throughout all Judah, doing what was pleasing and good in the sight of the Lord his God. In all that he did in the service of the Temple of God and in his efforts to follow God's laws and commands, Hezekiah sought his God wholeheartedly. As a result, he was very successful." (2 Chronicles 31:20,21)

Hezekiah worked hard to honor God. When he was invaded by the power and might of Assyria, he knew his God would lead them through Regardless of the enormous challenge.

"'Be strong and courageous! Don't be afraid or discouraged because of the king of Assyria or his mighty army, for there is a power far greater on our side! He may have a great army, but they are merely men. We have the Lord our God to help us and to fight our battles for us!' Hezekiah's words greatly encouraged the people." (2 Chronicles 32:7,8)

Thousands of years later, I am encouraged by the words of Hezekiah. God is providing for the needs of "the meeting place." Last year, we did not reach our goals financially. I started an additional ministry doing engravings and gifts to help supplement the giving of our faithful supporters. God has helped us cut the deficit. I know it sounds like I am worried. I am not. God will provide. This is his ministry, and he will direct it with the funding he deems necessary. 

As Paul traveled throughout the gentile world, he was helped financially.  In Philippians 4:18 he says "at the moment I have all I need -- and more!" Maybe he was still talking about money, or maybe he was talking about something different. When Paul said he had all he needed, I think he was talking about support from the Lord. I feel the same way. Stephanie and I are forever blessed by the gifts of our regular supporters. We know that God is providing and it is through him we receive all that we need.

When you begin to follow the Lord, he will provide. It might be money, or it might be mental support, or it might be safety, or it might be things we don't even know we need. HE WILL PROVIDE. Just like Hezekiah, if we devote our lives to him during the good times, his power will be revealed when we face battle with a formidable foe. 

Thank you, Lord, for being the God that provides!


Comments