How did we get here?


WARNING: I am going to sound like an old person today! 

Things have changed so much. The problems and challenges facing people today is beyond my understanding. I graduated high school in 1978. Can you remember your thoughts when you were getting ready to be an adult? Some people are terrified. Other people worry about money, jobs, and family. For me, I was excited. I was ready. I knew there would be problems. I knew I would face challenges in life. But in my wildest dreams, I would never have imagined the world we have today. The craziness, the sin, the division, the lack of faith, the conflict are almost overwhelming. 

As I was reading in Jeremiah today, I got the same sense from this prophet from God. 

"'I remember how eager you were to please me as a young bride long ago, how you loved me and followed me even through the barren wilderness. In those days Israel was holy to the Lord, the first of his children. All who harmed his people were declared guilty, and disaster fell on them. I, the Lord, have spoken! Listen to the word of the Lord, people of Jacob -- all you families of Israel! This is what the Lord says: 'What did your ancestors find wrong with me that led them astray so far from me?'" (Jeremiah 2:1-5)

Israel and her sister to the south, Judah, had strayed so far from where they were after leaving Egypt. What did they find wrong with God? God had done so many wonderful things. He saved this nation. He placed them above all others. They were his special people. Just as we see happening now in the twenty-first century, it happened so quickly. We abandoned God. 

Why? What did we find wrong with God that we decided to go on our own? How did we get here?

Of course, we can point to some specifics. Everyone has their theory of why we abandoned God, and there are some who say we haven't abandoned him. But, in my mind, we, as a nation, have abandoned God.

God is asking;

"When will you stop running? When will you stop panting after other gods? But you say, 'Save your breath, I'm in love with these foreign gods, and I can't stop loving them now." (Jeremiah 2:25)

As a nation, it seems hopeless; it seems we are too far gone. I just don't believe it. With God, there is always hope. The only real way to spark a change is to focus on what you can control, focus on your own little piece of the world. Here is what the Lord said through Jeremiah:

"O Israel, my faithless people, come home to me again, for I am merciful. I will not be angry forever. Only acknowledge your guilt. Admit that you rebelled against the Lord your God and committed adultery against him by worshiping idols under every green tree. Confess that you refused to listen to my voice. I, the Lord, have spoken! 'Return home, you wayward children,' says the Lord, 'for I am your master. I will bring you back to the land of Israel -- one from this town and two from that family -- from wherever you are scattered. And I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will guide you with knowledge and understanding." (Jeremiah 3:12-15)

God is sending shepherds to help his sheep. Seek the Lord; find a shepherd to help guide you. Changing the world starts with changing one heart. Make your heart the first to change.


 

Comments