Oh, I wish you wouldn't do that!

 


Before I go any further. My kids (my adult daughters) are not a pain, most of the time! LOL! They have brought so much joy to my life. They do a marvelous job raising their families and navigating this crazy world. So, as I write this blog, I am NOT thinking about them. But, last night, I was talking to some young people about being a parent and just remembering my pain while watching my daughters suffer through pain! We talked about how it is really important for all of us, including our kids, to experience that pain because it helps us grow. And then I am reading in Jeremiah a continuation of that discussion:

"I hurt with the hurt of my people. I mourn and am overcome with grief. Is there no medicine in Gilead? Is there no physician there? Why is there no healing for the wounds of my people? If only my head were a pool of water and my eyes a fountain of tears, I would weep day and night for all my people who have been slaughtered. Oh, that I could go away and forget my people and live in a travelers' shack in the desert." Jeremiah 8:21-22, 9:1-2a)

These words were from Jeremiah as he saw the nation of Israel self-destruct. I can relate. Sometimes, I think it would be so much easier to escape this world and live in a "travelers' shack."

I am so blessed by my daughters, their families, my grandkids, and great-grandkids. Yet, there are times when I have to sit by idly while they make decisions that I think are harmful. I know they will survive and every decision they make will provide both good and bad valuable lessons. But as a Father, I am always hurting, I always share in their pain.

What a beautiful picture of how God the FATHER looks at me. He also sits by idly, while I make dumb decisions. I am sure he has "winced" several times throughout my life. He thinks, "OOOOOh, I wish you wouldn't do that." But, he lets us do it anyway, and he is always there to pick up the pieces. He is always there to provide us grace and mercy. He is always there to love us even when we suffer through our own choices. 

The vision of God as my Father is my favorite vision of God. That might be because my own earthy father was such a loving and caring man, a man who quietly supported me even when I made dumb choices. 

Please know that the God of Heaven, our Father, loves you regardless of your choices. He loves you and suffers with you when you are suffering, even if it is self-inflicted! Thank you, Lord! I know I have done nothing to deserve your love, and yet, through your perfect grace, you love me anyway!

Comments