Please, Read it again!

 

I know so many people who don't like to read. I love to read. I love reading fiction, biography, non-fiction, suspense, thriller, and informative; you name it, I think I have read it. I know you can guess my first love. Yes, I love reading the Bible. I am so amazed at what I glean from its pages and the same stories I have read, or at least heard, for nearly 64 years. For those who don't like reading, I really recommend listening to the Bible. If you download the Youversion app on your phone, you can LISTEN to the entire Bible. I really recommend the NLT version, especially for listening. The reader is really good, and it reads like a wonderful story!

It is estimated there is an average of 4.4 Bibles for every household in the United States and over 6 Billion are in print. If those Bibles are still in circulation, that would mean there are 3 Bibles for every 4 people in the world. 84% of Americans read their Bibles less than four times per week. 29% NEVER read it. Yikes! We have so many Bibles, but we don't read them. I am not sure if that includes the Youversion Bible App. That is a great way to have a Bible with you wherever you go. 

What made me think about this today? Well, I was reading 2 Chronicles 34 today. The story of King Josiah, a good king, finding the lost Book of the Covenant written by Moses. It reminded me how so many people have "lost" their Bibles and need to Read it again, some for the first time!

"While they were bringing out the money collected at the Lord's Temple, Hilkiah the priest found the Book of the Law of the Lord written by Moses. Hilkiah said the Shaphan the court secretary, 'I have found the Book of the Law in the Lord's Temple!' Then, Hilkiah gave the scroll to Shaphan. Shaphan took the scroll to the king and reported, 'Your officials are doing everything they were assigned to do. The money that was collected at the Temple of the Lord has been turned over to the supervisors and workmen' Shaphan also told the King, 'Hilkiah the priest has given me a scroll.' So Shaphan read it to the king. When the king heard what was written in the Law, he tore his clothes in despair." (2 Chronicles 34:14-19)

King Josiah was trying to do things right and to honor the Lord. He was so distressed that this book had been lost AND that the people of God were not living as it instructed. We should treat our Bible, our sixty-six books of the Old and New Testament, with the same reverence and honor. God has given us this book to know about him, to know how to live life, and to point us to Jesus Christ for our salvation. Every day I open my Bible, God speaks to me. He teaches me about him. He teaches me about myself, and he shows me how I need to apply His words to my life. The Bible is SO POWERFUL!

"All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

These words are from God. This is not just some old book! It is alive and relevant for today and provides light today. It convicts us today. It penetrates our soul and spirit today! READ IT TODAY and EVERY DAY!

"For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing the soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)

PLEASE, READ IT AGAIN!

Comments