Regrets?

 


Such a sad thought! Do you regret things about your life? The truth of this quote from John Barrymore is that as we grow older we spend more time looking back at our life. Sometimes doing that means we stumble upon some poor choices that leads to regret. The dictionary definition of regret is "a feeling of sadness, repentance, or disappointment over something that has happened or been done." We are imperfect, sinful beings. It is only natural to have regrets. Even God had regrets:

"The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled." (Genesis 6:6 NIV)

"I regret that I have made Saul King, because he has turned away from me and has not carried out my instructions." Samuel was angry, and he cried out to the Lord all that night." (1 Samuel 15:11 NIV)

God does not experience regret for the same reasons we do. We are sorry and repentant for our decisions. But, God doesn't make mistakes. He knew how human beings were going to act in Genesis. He knew how Saul would approach his appointment as King. His regret is not sorry because he made a mistake, he is sorrowful for us. He is sorry we made the choices we made. He is saddened by the suffering it brings us. 

"This is what the Lord says -- your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: 'I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is good for you and leads you along the paths you should follow, O that you had listened to my commands! The you would have peace flowing like a gentle river and righteousness rolling over you like waves in the sea. Your descendants would have been like the sands along the seashore -- too many to count! There would have been no need for your destruction, or for cutting off your family name. Yet even now, be free from your captivity!'" (Isaiah 48:17-20 NLT)

What is your greatest regret? 

I regret that I could have been a better father and husband. Like many men, I spent so much time focusing on providing for my family, I placed my work over them. But, most importantly I regret that I was not a better servant of the Lord. I regret how my focus was not on obeying and following the Lord like I should have. My advice to young fathers and husbands, Focus on God first, above family, above work, and above all things. 

There is good news. The most joyous news. Even though Israel constantly rejected God, worshipped foreign idols, and followed their own path. God never left them. The key is within the definition of regret........ REPENT! We can turn right now and repent. Those regrets will melt away and we can rejoice as we move forward in the Lord!

"If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness." (1 John 1:8,9 NLT)

"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland." (Isaiah 43:18,19)

As we go through our life, we can be assured that God is with us. Even as an aging adult he is doing a new thing. Look at your life, inspect it, remember it, and repent of your sin. Then live with no regrets because God is with you forever and ever.

As your name deserves, O God, you will be praised to the ends of the earth. Your strong right hand is filled with victory. Let the people on Mount Zion rejoice. Let all the towns of Judah be glad because of you justice. Go, inspect the city of Jerusalem. Walk around and count the many towers. Take note of the fortified walls, and tour all the citadels, that you may describe them to future generations. For that is what God is like. He is our God forever and ever, and he will guide us until we die." (Psalm 48:10-14)








Comments