Who is God?

 


I'm a little tired this morning! The Yankees are playing in Arizona, and I stayed up pretty late to watch most of the game. I love baseball because I can do other things while I "watch" the game. So, last night I was researching God! In my three-year ordination process, I have to write sixteen theological statements and my next one (I have completed nine of them.) is to write a statement of the nature and revealing activity of God. Who is God?

That is such a difficult question, and rightly so. If I, or any human, could completely describe God, I am not sure he would be much of a God. There will always be a mystery about God, especially how he reveals himself to us. Some people really get bent out of shape if you do not agree with THEIR description or view of God. We have the Arminian/Wesleyan camp standing strong against the Calvinists. We have the view of the Jews, the Muslims,  and countless other views. As I was reading Isaiah chapters 46-48 today, we get a glimpse of who God is through Isaiah. 

God is a God who keeps his word:

"Do not forget this! Keep it in mind! Remember this, you guilty ones. Remember the things I have done in the past. For I alone and God! I am God, and there is none like me. Only I can tell the future before it even happens. Everything I plan will come to pass, for I do whatever I wish. I will call a swift bird of prey from the east -- a leader from a distant land to come and do my bidding. I have said what I would do, and I will do it." (Isaiah 46:9-11)

Whenever I get discouraged, all I need to do is remember how active God has been in my own life. The ministry here at "the meeting place" is a perfect example. God sent me a vision and he has fulfilled that vision!

God is creator

"Listen to me, O family of Jacob, Israel my chosen one! I alone am God, the First and the Last. It was my hand that laid the foundations of the earth, my right hand that spread out the heavens above. When I call out the stars, they all appear in order." (Isaiah 48:12,13)

In less than a week, we will witness God's mighty hand in the heavens. We will see a total eclipse of the Sun. God created the heavens and laid them in place. I am in awe of his wonderful creation. He created me alongside the beauty of the earth, the sky, and the heavens. 

God is my redeemer, and he is my guide through life.

"This is what the Lord says -- your redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: 'I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is good for you and leads you along the paths you should follow.'" (Isaiah 48:17)

God loves us so much that he saved us from ourselves, the sin that so easily entangles us. He guides our path and keeps us safe in life. Since we have trusted him, his plan leads to eternal life!

God is love. God is the creator. God is the redeemer. God is power. God is sovereign. God is everywhere. God is all-knowing. God is a jealous God........

Any description seems so incomplete. I praise you, Lord, for who you are! Get to know God. Discover his attributes, his love, his grace, his mercy. Remember these verses from the prophet Jeremiah:

"This is what the Lord says: 'Don't let the wise boast in their wisdom, or the powerful boast in their power, or the rich boast in their riches. But those who wish to boast should boast in this alone: that they truly know me and understand that I am the Lord who demonstrates unfailing love and who brings justice and righteousness to the earth, and that I delight in these things. I, the Lord, have spoken!" (Jeremiah 9:23,24)


Comments