If I could turn back time!

 


Sometimes I think of some of the strangest things when I read scripture. I prefer to think that the Holy Spirit is guiding my thoughts. But, sometimes I think how did that thought come to mind. 

Today is that day. 

While I was reading Ezekiel 18, all the sudden the song, "If I could Turn Back Time!" came to mind. Yeah, I am not a huge fn of Cher. I would say I am way LESS than a fan. So why would that song come to mind? I really have no idea. Here is what I was reading:

"Therefore, I will judge each of you, O people of Israel, according to your actions, says the Sovereign Lord. Repent, and turn from your sins. Don't let them destroy you! Put all your rebellion behind you, and find yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. For why should you die, O people of Israel? I don't want to die, says the Sovereign Lord. Turn back and live!" (Ezekiel 18:30)

So, why this Cher song came to mind, I can only attribute it to the last statement! So, let's assume the HOLY SPIRIT wants me to dwell on that. So here goes:

Just before this verse, Ezekiel is talking about each of us being responsible for our own sins. My sins don't condemn my kids and their sins don't condemn me. We are held accountable for our own actions. As I read this, which makes perfect sense, I was thinking, "YEAH, BUT....." My actions DO affect my kids. My sins DO affect my friends, family, and coworkers. YES, I will be held accountable for those actions, but WOW, I do have some responsibility if I lead others astray by my actions. 

"But if you cause one of these little ones who trusts in me to fall into sin, it would be better for you to have a large millstone tied around your neck and be drowned in the depths of the sea." (Matthew 18:6)

"Don't tear apart the work of God over what you eat. Remember, all foods are acceptable, but it is wrong to eat something if it makes another person stumble." (Romans 14:20)

So if this true for foods we eat, wouldn't it also be true for other actions that might lead others to sin?

We must be cautious about what we do. Yes, no one else will be held responsible for our sins, but if we cause someone else to sin and they do not come to know Jesus, aren't we complicit in condemning them?

"Dear friends, I warn you as 'temporary residents and foreigners' to keep away from worldly desires that wage war against your very souls. Be careful to live properly among your unbelieving neighbors. Then even if they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honorable behavior, and they will give honor to God when he judges the world." (1 Peter 2:11,12)

"Teach these things and insist that everyone learn them. Don't let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity. Until I get there, focus on reading the Scriptures to the church. encouraging the believers, and teaching them." (1 Timothy 4:11-13)



Comments