The Humble Pastor


 It's almost Mother's Day and most people would be hard-pressed to argue that being a mom is the most important and difficult job in the Western world. I have so much love and respect for mothers. They are the glue that holds the family together. I think that most women are also the spiritual leaders in the home. I cringe at the times I shirked my responsibility as an equal partner in our marriage, dumping task after task onto my wife as our family grew. 

But today, I am not thinking about mothers, I am thinking about pastors. Pastors are like mothers in many ways. Their position has become one of ridicule and the duties of a pastor continue to grow. Yet, they accept their positions with humility and dignity. 

I was reading the book of Jeremiah chapter 23 about false prophets. It angers me to think of false teachers in our world today because I know the hearts of many faithful pastors. I know because I have joined their calling. I know the unbearable weight they gladly take upon themselves to care for their flock. I know the heart they pour into every message and decision they make. I know the hours they spend in prayer and studying God's word, seeking God, and guidance. 

The world we live in today is filled with so much evil and with that evil comes so many false teachers. All of them claim to be messengers of the Lord. They claim to have the authority of God. Do you want to know my test for false teachers in 2024? How can you discern between false teaching and true Holy Spirit-filled messages from the Lord? 

Humility! 

The humble pastor holds their position with reverence and honor. They know they are not worthy; yet they accept the position and treat their calling with devotion and seriousness. The Lord supports those humble pastors and opposes those who treat the position as a job, or a position of power and authority:

"'Therefore, says the Lord, ' I am against these prophets who steal messages from each other and claim they are from me. I am against these smooth-tongued prophets who say, 'This prophecy is from the Lord!' I am against these false prophets. Their imaginary dreams are flagrant lies that lead my people into sin. I did not send or appoint them, and they have no message at all for my people. I, the Lord, have spoken!'" (Jeremiah 23:30-32) 

True Pastors would share the same message Paul sent to the church at Ephesus:

""You know that from the day I set foot in the province of Asia until now, I have done the Lord's work humbly and with many tears. I have endured the trials that came to me from the plots of the Jews. I never shrank back from telling you what you needed to hear, either publicly or in your homes. I have had one message for Jews and Greeks alike -- the necessity of repenting from sin and turning to God, and of having faith in our Lord Jesus." (Acts 20:18-21)

I praise the Lord for the humble Pastors in my life. I pray I can give reverence and honor to the position God has called me, seeking the lost, and discipling his servants. 



Comments