We all need a good helper!




Yesterday was Mother's Day. As I think about mothers, I think about my mom and thank God for her. But, I also think of my wife, Stephanie, the mother of my three daughters. I think about this wonderful partnership we have together and how there is no way I could live life without her standing with me. God designed it that way. In the book of Genesis God saw that man needed a helper. Not a helper as a servant, but a helper as an equal partner. So many people think of the term "helper" as demeaning. That just isn't true. God is also identified as our helper. 

"Behold, God is my helper. The Lord is with the upholder of my life."  (Psalm 54:4) 

God knew man needed someone to celebrate the joys of success and to help endure the times of pain and sorrow. He knew we needed a confidant, a lover, and a best friend. He knew that life would be incomplete without someone who was filled with a different kind of compassion and love. So, he gave us our helpmates, our wives, the mothers of our children. He gave me Stephanie, just what I needed.

As I was reading through Jeremiah I was thinking about the lonely life he led. He was not married:

"The Lord gave me another message. He said, "Do not get married or have children in this place." (Jeremiah 16:1,2)

So, throughout his life, he did not experience a partnership like many of us experience in our marriages. That really saddens me. 

Today I was reading about Jeremiah's good friend Baruch and how he helped Jeremiah write down all his messages. But, Baruch went a step above and beyond. Since Jeremiah was under arrest, he could not go to the Temple. Baruch took the message out to the people and put himself in grave danger of being persecuted and arrested just like Jeremiah. 

"So Jeremiah sent for Baruch son of Neriah and as Jeremiah dictated all the prophecies that the Lord had given him, Baruch wrote them on a scroll. Then Jeremiah said to Baruch, 'I am a prisoner here and unable to go to the Temple. So you go to the Temple on the next day of fasting, and read the messages from the Lord that I have had you write on this scroll. Read them so the people who are there from all over Judah will hear them. Perhaps even yet they will turn from their evil ways and ask the Lord's forgiveness before it is too late. For the Lord has threatened them with his terrible anger." (Jeremiah 36:4-7)

And Baruch went and read these prophecies in the Temple. The King burned the scrolls and commanded Baruch and Jeremiah to be arrested. But, the Lord protected them. Then Jeremiah repeated his dictation to Baruch and they repeated the process. 

Baruch was a great friend to a prophet who had no friends and had no helper in life. Baruch did not shy away from helping his friend. He believed in him and the message God gave him. He even sacrificed his life for his friend. We all need friends like that and God has blessed me with that kind of friend. I am so thankful the Lord gave me Stephanie. She is my great helper. She is my best friend. I am so blessed to serve in ministry with this godly woman who loves the Lord as much as I do. She has sacrificed much so that we can continue serving the Lord. Thank you Lord for sending this great lady in my life and I sincerely ask you to bless her in amazing ways now and forever. Amen!

Comments