What would the World be like if......?


 Have you ever played the "WHAT IF" game? I often wonder, what would my life be like if I had gone into the ministry as a young man? What would my life have been like if I had not made so many poor decisions? What would my life have been like if God had been my focus throughout life? What would I be doing right now if Stephanie and I had gone to Germany to be missionaries? You can play this game all day long and speculate how life would be different IF...

Yet, I can truly say, I have loved my life. Don't get me wrong, some of my choices (probably a lot more than SOME) were not good choices. I can look back and cringe when I think of all the times I placed myself before God and my family. I can look back and see some pretty bad personal choices that I wish were not a part of my life. God has been so faithful and patient with me. He has blessed me way beyond what I deserve and despite my poor choices, I have lived a wonderful life that has led me closer and closer to Jesus Christ. The joy in my life comes directly from the Lord.

This morning I continued reading the book of Jeremiah. I feel for this prophet. He had to carry some of the most unpopular messages to the people of Judah. He was called to be a messenger of truth to the King and he never avoided his calling despite his persecution. 

Ironically, King Zedekiah sent his advisers to talk to Jeremiah as things were looking pretty bad for Judah.

"The Lord spoke through Jeremiah when King Zedekiah sent Pashur son of Malkijah and Zephaniah son of Maaseiah, the priest, to speak with him. They begged Jeremiah, "Please speak to the Lord for us and ask him to help us. King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon is attacking Judah. Perhaps the Lord will be gracious and do a mighty miracle as he has done in the past. Perhaps he will force Nebuchadnezzar to withdraw his armies." (Jeremiah 21:1,2)

Judah and its King were about to pay the price of all their poor decisions. They were about to be held accountable for worshipping idols, and being completely disobedient to the Lord. God had been patient with them, tolerating their mistakes. He couldn't wait any longer. Now was the time for justice. Isn't it ironic they now came to Jeremiah and asked for his help? They beat him, stripped him, threw him in a cistern, and ruthlessly persecuted him. Yet, now they were appealing to him and his relationship with the God of the Universe for a miracle. God saw right through their shallow request and continued with his plan to teach Judah a valuable and hard lesson. 

I gave my life to Jesus as a young 12-year-old boy at church camp. I lived the next 50+ years calling upon the Lord only when I needed him, like a Genie in a bottle. Whenever I needed a miracle, I turned to him. When I was suffering the consequences of my poor choices, I begged him for mercy, just like King Zedekiah. I deserved to be sent into exile just like the nation of Judah. For some reason, God did not do that. Instead, he offered grace and mercy. He offered a love that forgives 70 times 7 times. 

I have learned so much from making poor choices in life. The nation of Judah learned a valuable lesson when it spent 70 years in captivity. I wouldn't want to repeat my mistakes knowing what I know right now. But, I also am thankful for the lessons learned along the way. I needed to learn those lessons and the pain helped me to devote myself completely to Jesus. So, I can praise God for my life and never have to think in sadness, "What if..."

God is patient with you and if your life is filled with one poor choice after another, the best choice you could make is to give it all to the Lord! God will completely accept your repentance and will help you . Turning your life to him will be the best choice of your life!

"Teach me your ways, O Lord, that I may live according to your truth! Grant me purity of heart, so that I may honor you. With all my heart I will praise you, O Lord my God. I will give glory to your name forever, for your love for me is very great. You have rescued me from the depths of death. O God, insolent people rise up against me; a violent gang is trying to kill me. You mean nothing to them. But you, O Lord, are a God of compassion and mercy, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness. Look down and have mercy on me. Give your strength to your servant; save me, the son of your servant. Send me a sign of your favor." (Psalm 86:11-16)

Comments