A place for Joy!

 

I got a call from a dear friend that warmed my heart. He was at a motorcycle event and suffered a heart attack. (I think that is how it is classified!) I heard about it on Facebook, and all I could think about was losing my good friend. But, miraculously, only through the power of our great God, after 18 minutes of "death," he was revived and was able to call me the day after it happened. After we talked, I made a feeble attempt to pray. I couldn't even find words except to praise God for the life of my friend, the medical people who jumped into action, and his wife, who had to travel a great distance to reach him. 

Our world is messed up. There is so much death, sorrow, pain, and sin, and the number of people rebelling against God is exploding. They don't even hide it! The thought of losing another one of the "good ones" gives me great pain. It would be so easy to give up. But, then God shows up and restores our Joy!

This past couple of days, I have been reading the book of Lamentations. Like much of the writings of the Prophets, there is a lot of gloom and doom. It is no wonder where the book got its name. But, even in the middle of the Lament, at the loss of Jerusalem, the exile, and the death of so many people, there is hope, and there is joy.

"The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is thy faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning. I say to myself, 'The Lord is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!' The Lord is good to those who depend on him, to those who search for him. So it is good to wait quietly for salvation from the Lord. And it is good for people to submit at an early age to the yoke of his discipline; Let them sit alone in silence beneath the Lord's demands. Let them lie face down in the dust, for there may be hope at last. Let them turn the other cheek to those who strike them and accept the insults of their enemies. For no one is abandoned by the Lord forever. Though he brings grief, he also shows compassion because of the greatness of his unfailing love. For he does not enjoy hurting people or causing them sorrow."(Lamentations 3:22-33)

I praise God for the hope we have in him, and even when we are in our darkest hour, either personally or corporately, God is with us. We have unexplainable hope. I bow with my face to the ground for you, Oh, Lord! You are my rock and my redeemer, and provide amazing comfort and joy in my Life!

Comments