Did you do enough?

 


It seems like everywhere I turn in my study time, God is sending me a message about compassion. Specifically, God is sending me a message that I need to be more compassionate and loving with those who are FAR from him, sinners. Please don't read judgment in those words. I am not the judge, but anyone who consistently lives a life apart from God is a sinner. I used to be that way, but since I was saved, I am no longer a slave to sin, and I am trying my best to live a life worthy of the gospel. When I talk about Sinners, I am talking about those who have not asked Jesus into their lives and who have not repented of their sins. I believe it goes without saying that we ALL were once sinners, and we ALL need God's grace and mercy to be saved from our sins.

In Jeremiah today, I was reading God's judgment upon Amon, Moab, Elam, etc. His wrath was on its way after the fall of Jerusalem. Reading the consequences of their sins is painful.

"Judgment has been poured out on the towns of the plateau -- on Holon and Jahaz and Mephaath, on Dibon and Nebo and Beth-diblathaim, on Kiriathaim and Beth-gamul and Beth-meon, on Kerioth and Bozrah -- all the towns of Moab, far and near. "The strength of Moab has ended. His arm has been broken," says the Lord. "Let him stagger and fall like a drunkard, for he has rebelled against the Lord. Moab will wallow in his own vomit, ridiculed by all.""(Jeremiah 48:21-26)

The verses go on to describe how Moab treated Judah, and they are getting what they deserve from the Lord. God is a God of righteousness and a God of justice. But I still moan and groan when I think of the senseless loss of life because the people refused to come and know the Lord of Heaven's Armies. 

One of my DB groups is studying Revelation, and as I read, I am constantly thinking about the coming wrath, not for myself, but for those who are far from God. Some of those are family members. Some of those people I mourn for are neighbors and friends. YES, they will get what they deserve, but I still mourn for them, and that mourning provides a sense of urgency. I am more motivated than ever before because I can sense the end is near!

God does not call us to rest on our salvation. He does not want us to bask in the peace without going out to get one more! One of the most powerful scenes in a movie is in the film, "Schindler's List." I haven't seen this movie in a long time. But in the clip below, Oskar Schindler is confronted with all those he saved. Yet, he is consumed with the sadness that he could have saved "one more." We should be consumed with that same type of passion. We need to help ONE MORE come to the saving grace of Jesus. Our compassion for sinners should drive us to help ONE MORE come to know him! The coming wrath will be like nothing we could ever imagine. Have we done enough? What more can we do? Are we managing our finances that will help others come to know him? Are we budgeting our time and energy for God's Kingdom?Are we going into dark places or are we sitting safely at home, waiting for the end? Do we live in a safe bubble far from the evils of this world? Are we doing enough? Am I doing enough?


Lord, please forgive me because I know I have not done enough! Amen!



Comments