Oh the places you'll go!


 I haven't read this book in a long time, but I remember it fondly. I love to travel. Since our calling to ministry in Bluffton, Indiana, I haven't gotten the chance to travel much. Before God called us here, Stephanie and I were planning on being missionaries. The thought of adventures for the Glory of God is so appealing to me. ALAS, God has other plans at the moment!

Lately, my best travel substitute has been Biblical research. My Thursday night DBG (discovery bible group) has been delving into the early parts of the book of Revelation. That has prompted me to study the history of the towns of Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea. I have learned such interesting facts about these towns. In a small way, I feel like I have visited them. I would love to take a trip to these places, but until then, I have to go to those places in my mind, in books, or through google!

So, today I was reading about Ezekiel's prophecy about Tyre.

"Therefore, this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am your enemy, O Tyre, and I will bring many nations against you, like the waves of the sea crashing against your shoreline. They will destroy the walls of Tyre and tear down its towers. I will scrape away its soil and make it a bare rock! It will be just a rock in the sea, a place for fishermen to spread their nets, for I have spoken, says the Sovereign Lord. Tyre will become the prey of many nations, and its mainland villages will be destroyed by the sword. Then they will know that I am the Lord." (Ezekiel 26:3-6)

The prophecy goes on to talk specifically about King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon. Shortly AFTER this prophecy, history shows that the King of Babylon laid siege to Tyre. He destroyed the mainland villages and then held her captive for 13 years. Isn't ancient prophecy amazing. We can look back. like a Monday morning quarterback and verify it really happened! 

Eventually, Tyre signed a treaty, and Bablyon installed a puppet king to report to Nebuchadnezzar. The rest of the prophecy was fulfilled through Alexander the Great, and the town that was once so proud became a place to dry fishing nets, just like Ezekiel prophecied. Tyre was a formidable foe even for the great kings. But, when they vocally and arrogantly stood against God and his people, their plight was decided!

I have also been thinking a lot about my little town of Bluffton, Indiana. Yes, the "glamor" of going to exotic places like Greece, Germany, Turkey, and Africa still draws me. Yet, God has assigned me here, and I also love the adventure of getting to know people and places right here in Bluffton. No matter where I go, the mission is really the same. We (I) need to share the gospel wherever I am, wherever I go, and wherever GOD places me. There is such a need EVERYWHERE. Yes, Europe has been and continues to be a dark place for the gospel of Jesus Christ, but there are still dark places right here in my own neighborhood. We can't just serve as missionaries in foreign lands. God is calling all of us to share his gospel with our neighbor right next door, in "exotic" downtown Bluffton, Indiana. 

Comments